Vintage Air HVAC vs Elite AC - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2016, 09:50 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

Vintage Air HVAC vs Elite AC

I've got a 1995 soft top and it does not have A/C. My idea is to use a Vintage Air setup and keep the lower dash mostly intact. The thought is to hollow out the back of it, remove the flap system and run air ducts from the firewall mounted vintage air unit. Defrost and low would utilize the factory holes and for the A/C or top vent, mount rectangular vents above the tray and have ducting either directly underneath or coming up and making a 90 degree turn.

The parts for the Vintage Air Gen II kit run about $1400. There is some room for labor compared to the $3500 + shipping elite air kit but more importantly, the vintage air kit is an HVAC/evap in one so there is no box by the passenger's feet and the controls are all digital instead of sliding levers. The other bonus is there is no box mounted to the dash which does make you feel a little more cramped.

I've heard conflicting reports on both the Elite(RN) kit and the Vintage Air kits. Anyone think my hollow out the backside of the lower dash and run ducting idea is feasible? Any other thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:11 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
It's a nice idea but I'm pretty sure you'd spend much more than the elite kit in labor, tweaking, modifying and still end up with something that devalues the truck.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 23rd, 2016, 10:40 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
It's a nice idea but I'm pretty sure you'd spend much more than the elite kit in labor, tweaking, modifying and still end up with something that devalues the truck.
agreed with this, prolly better to just shell out the extra $1000 and not have to fiddle with connectors and the like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 24th, 2016, 04:39 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Have a look through my custom LHD dash thread, you'll see there is very limited room for a VA mini unit behind my dash... can't see you fitting it behind the original at all.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ion-42326.html
Old January 24th, 2016, 05:06 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Andy,

My plan was to copy what Icon did and put the VA unit in the engine bay where the OEM Heater Box goes.

I've got an LS motor going in. I'm not worried about the resale value of the truck. I'm more worried about getting the most effective unit in the truck and minimizing the footprint on the interior.

That said, I'll take a look at your thread now.

Mit
Old January 24th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844 View Post
Andy,

My plan was to copy what Icon did and put the VA unit in the engine bay where the OEM Heater Box goes.
Have a look at the Hurricane units from Old Air Products, might work better being a more boxy design if mounting through the bulkhead.

Custom Aftermarket A/C Systems & Replacement Parts for Hot Rod, Classic, & Vintage Cars/Trucks - Universal HURRICANE Systems - Electronic
Old January 24th, 2016, 10:56 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

thanks Andy!!!
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:11 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I used the Old Air Hurricane

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...110-48220.html
Old January 25th, 2016, 08:29 AM
stancey
steven stancey
1988 Defender 110 LS, 1993 130 tdi

Good thread. For some reason I have subscribed even though I haven't found a 110 yet. FYI, I emailed elite last week and got a response saying they no longer supply Landy Ac units.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, vin