VIN Location Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:21 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
VIN Location Help

I just had a shake up at the Motor Vehicle Bureau here in Maine. Although the previous title, all customs paperwork and the VIN plates on the truck match, its coming back invalid.

Now the local PD has to come and verify it in at least two places, one being on the frame. Before I start searching with a wire brush, can someone point me to its general location?

The truck was previously titled in Ohio and it was imported prior to it being titled there....but everything matches. All the import documents from the UK, MOT, US Customs etc. etc....

Many thanks in advance.

Josh

87 EX MOD 110
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2013, 05:24 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Stamped into the outer side of the frame just in front of the Passenger side front wheel.

Stamped onto a plate riveted to the top of the bracket that holds the brake booster under the hood.

These are the 'official' ones.

There may also be a plate affixed to the side of the seat box as its an Ex-MOD truck but that's from the MOD, not LR.

Edit - Pass side being the side closest to the kerb here. Left hand side if you stand facing the truck.
Old April 30th, 2013, 06:02 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
x2 what Ian said. Also, in the future you can use the search button and save yourself a ton of time. Just searching "VIN location" brings up the same answer(s). Welcome (back) to the board.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2013, 04:53 PM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry

The VIN is stamped, here -

Paul.

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Old May 1st, 2013, 05:19 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS
D110 Soft Top with full rollcage

Registry
I'd like to add to this thread. I'm having the same issue. I have an '83 ROW 110. Put a galvy frame on (so nothing on the frame). And I'm the third owner in the states, so no import paperwork. Only location of the VIN is the horn over the brake booster under the hood. Truck is titled in FL, have a copy of the previous title in NY. Given those circumstances, how do I prove to the police that my truck is legit with two VIN locations?

Old May 1st, 2013, 05:37 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
Maybe if you have a box of donuts sitting on the hood and just start some off-topic conversation in the beginning, the officer will just end up not giving a rat's ass and sign off for you...
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:40 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Get it stamped on?
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:43 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WD90 View Post
Maybe if you have a box of donuts sitting on the hood and just start some off-topic conversation in the beginning, the officer will just end up not giving a rat's ass and sign off for you...
Haha! That just might work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeslandrover View Post
Get it stamped on?
Interesting idea. Anybody have a picture of their VIN on the frame so I could maybe do something up similar size, etc?

Old May 1st, 2013, 05:50 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEIS View Post
how do I prove to the police that my truck is legit with two VIN locations?
"Prove"? You cant anymore since the only permanent VIN has been removed with the frame and you have no documentation to support a transfer of ID.

You could stamp one on as Mike suggests. Its possible it could be questioned if its not an exact match for a factory stamp and somebody knows what they are looking at (which is unlikely).

In the situation you are in I would guess that stamping one on an hoping it passes scrutiny is probably your best bet. Are you needing to re-title it and require a VIN inspection or something?
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:53 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Are you needing to re-title it and require a VIN inspection or something?
Exactly. I moved to Louisiana, and if you get a Louisiana plate, you have to also have a Louisiana title. Plus....you have to re-pay the sales tax...(total BS if you ask me).

Old May 1st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Oannes
Aaron
1997 NAS D90 (Original Dream Car)

Just had my 84 110 paperwork kicked back here in CA for the same thing. Took it to the DMV they did an inspection, signed off, took my $1699 in fees, gave me plates and registration... Then a week later all my paperwork shows up in the mail saying I need to go to the CHP for another inspection???

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give. Sir Winston Churchill

1973 Series II 109 5 door (Australia)
1997 NAS Defender 90 (Already sold so)
2013 Chevrolet 2500HD (work horse)
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:36 PM
BEIS
RYAN BEIS

Registry
Issue solved. State police did a physical inspection. Police officer looked at the VIN above the brake booster on the vehicle, looked at the previous state title, then filled out a form. Took the form to the DMV. Slight issues at the DMV, because the gray market VIN was not able to be put into the system. The lady was very diligent and consulted with the senior ladies to put the vehicle into the system. Good to go.

Only hang up was with the state inspection. All original engine components need to be currently installed (including the dual carb intake...)....talked to the inspector regarding this: most people replace their engines with older components, thus making their vehicle worse off, rather than better. Therefore, the inspectors have to ensure that the original engine and components are present, even if the engine was updated or modified for the better...doesn't make sense to us enthusiasts that upgrade components to make them safer/more reliable... Overall, good to go, and waiting for the title in the mail. Hope this helps those with 25+ year old ROW trucks.

Old May 14th, 2013, 01:54 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Why are you guys getting scrutinized about your trucks when you have a valid State Title?

Or this is normal?

When I title one of my Rovers a few years ago. I had a MD Title with a 7-6 digit number (Assigned ID) and the lady did not even hesitate. I got my VA Title without issues. No PD involvement, no issues.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old May 14th, 2013, 02:07 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dro View Post
Why are you guys getting scrutinized about your trucks when you have a valid State Title?

Or this is normal?

When I title one of my Rovers a few years ago. I had a MD Title with a 7-6 digit number (Assigned ID) and the lady did not even hesitate. I got my VA Title without issues. No PD involvement, no issues.
Arkansas didn't give me any issues with a previous Texas title. It took the guys in Texas quite a while to get their title and they did have to do an inspection. Not sure about VIN, but that wouldn't have been a problem because my 90 had 3 clearly legible locations: the brake booster, the frame, and the MOD plate on the seat box.
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:17 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafir View Post
Arkansas didn't give me any issues with a previous Texas title. It took the guys in Texas quite a while to get their title and they did have to do an inspection. Not sure about VIN, but that wouldn't have been a problem because my 90 had 3 clearly legible locations: the brake booster, the frame, and the MOD plate on the seat box.
My truck did not have a VIN. It had an Assigned Identification Number from New Jersey.

The lady did not even look up when writing in the computer.

Well, every state is different and it's a matter of who is behind the counter.

Old May 14th, 2013, 03:06 PM
josh-man
joshua
82 Land Rover 110 Ex MOD

Registry
typically on the MOD trucks an interior VIN plate is located on the drivers side seat box. My trooper verified the one under the hood and the one on the seat box and just asked me to crowch down and read him the VIN off the frame.

You can get those blank VIN plates too, and stamp it...not sure if its easier to stamp the frame or not but seems like that is a simple and effective way to jump through the hoops each state has their own way of doing to us.
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Wonder if the CBP thing is trickling down to the state and local RMV's.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:11 PM
myoverlandrover
josh

Oh joy..maybe this is why I haven't received my Maine title yet.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:13 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by myoverlandrover View Post
Oh joy..maybe this is why I haven't received my Maine title yet.
I thought maine didn't issues titles for vehicles older than 10 years old.
Old May 14th, 2013, 04:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

15 I thought. Maine only gives you a registration.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
vin