vibrations and noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 4th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Big D
Daniel Brown

vibrations and noise

I am getting vibration in the steering wheel at higher speeds and a almost rusty sound when parking the truck. The later being much more embaressing but both are annoying. What to do and where to start looking for the problem. Thanks for the help and your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2007, 05:02 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Dan,

Check the bushings on your control arms and trailing arms. Also, make sure the nuts on the control arms are tight. Have you checked your wheel bearings lately? Any play in your tie rod ends? Another option could be your pan hard rod bushings. When was the last time had your tires balanced?

Can you describe the "Rusty" sound? Could it have anything to do with the brakes?

Old September 4th, 2007, 06:32 PM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
rusty sound?? like a crunching, or grinding? or like the sound of loose rust falling on the ground when you slam the doors? (like mine

I had a shake that got bad at 65 but below or over that it went away. it was the tie rod ends... I don't know which, I had them all replaced.

common cause people say is the panhard rod bushings..

if you can get your front axle on jack stands, pull/push on things to see if you can find any play..

~Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 5th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Big D
Daniel Brown

noise is like a ricaty old door. Not coming from the bracks i hope. Just had the pads replaced, but it has started to make the same noise when taking off from a stop sign or a stop light. HUGH!!!! Love / Hate relationship with her.
Old September 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I was getting a vibration/chattering from my front driveshaft ujoints but it didnt manifest itself in the steering wheel at all.

I have heard swivel preload also mentioned for death wobble, although I do not know much about it (can anyobody enlghten us?) The steering wobble and the noise could be completely unrelated. When it rains, it pours!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions