Vibrations again.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2006, 09:24 PM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Vibrations again..

I am getting some weird vibrations out of my 95 defender. I want to say this is a u-joint or something but the symptoms are odd. The vibrations maily occur when i'm on the gas and not when i'm coasting. If it were a driveline issue wouldn't it be occuring when not accelerating also? There is also some squealing coming from the undercarriage somewhere but I have not been able to find out where. The vibrations get stronger with higher speeds which again makes me think it's a u joint but goes away when i get off the gas. Reving the engine at a standstill provides no vibrations. I am kind of lost on this one, anyone have some ideas? Thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd check the u-joints for slop, had the same exact symptoms on mine and it ended up being a VERY worn out U-joint. When you let off the gas, it releases the tension in the u-joints, and that keeps the vibration from being transferred into the chassis.

But you can't just crawl underneath and check. You have to chock the rear wheels, release the parking brake and make sure the truck is in neutral. Otherwise, since the parking brake is mounted on the back of the transfer case, the truck will roll back and put tension on the driveshaft that will make you think that everything is solid.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 01:06 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Sounds like UJ's to me, too. Could be gear sets, but they rarely go wrong in that way. What I would like to point out, though, is that most drive line vibrations happen when you are under gas. Most tire related problems and other balance related problems persist when off the gas. Any gear/joint binding problem is usually evident under load. Check the UJ's first by removing the shafts one at a time and then driving the truck with the center diff locked. That is the quickest way to narrow it down.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2006, 11:24 AM
sflash868
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW

Yeah, I was guessing they were ujoints but on my last truck (Range Rover) which blew 2 u joints during my time with her had the opposite stymptoms where the vibrations occured when off the gas. OH well. I will take the shafts off and see how that goes. U joints are a hell of a lot cheaper than a gear set, so now i'm hoping it's a u joint. Any ideas on some good aftermarket u joints? Or if I go to a parts store what to ask for. If i remember the Autozone near me had land rover u joints mislabeled and I never got the right one. THanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions