Vibrations again - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 1st, 2008, 02:28 PM
Dennis Lynch
94 D90 #699
Vibrations again

OK, so I have searched and done some testing, now I need some help. I replaced my rear output shaft seal(transfer case), and a u-joint on the rear. I drove the truck with the diff locked and only the front driveshaft on with no vibes, it did seem as though there was more driveline slack(banging) than before. I put the rear back on and now I get a clicking coming from somewhere underneath and vibes when I get over 25mph. I checked the trans and engine mounts, the seeem fine. both rear uj's are fine(no play) the front uj's seem fine. I had no vibe's before I broke the cv wheeling a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance

Old July 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
Not trying to be funny, I did the same thing but did you check to make sure you tightened all the bolts and that none loosened up?

Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old July 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 ST #614 | '95 RRC TWR
Awhile ago when I did the U Joints on my range rover I was getting some vibrations. It turned out that I just hadn't gotten one of the C-clips seated all the way. Thought I was careful to get them all seated properly, but apparently not.
Old July 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM
D90 SW -- 2.8PS
Also make sure the propshaft is inserted in the "correct" direction. This HAS been done incorrectly before. Don't ask me how
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:09 AM
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team
Just wanted to say that when I run one driveshaft only with the center diff lock engaged I too feel more slop than usual. I think this is expected.

good luck,
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
Something else to check

I went through all of this and it turned out to be the splines where the drive shaft telescopes in and out. They were shot dispite being well lubed.

Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions