Vibration while coasting - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2005, 01:41 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Vibration while coasting

When driving on the freeway recently I noticed a mild vibration when I take my foot off the gas. It goes away when I give it more gas. I do not notice it at lower speeds of 20-35, just at highway speeds. Drive shaft out of alignment? U joints? It is not that annoying yet but it just got me wondering. I just lubed the driv shafts and it was after lubing that I noticed the vibration. Any thoughts?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:16 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

Wheel bearing?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Pull the shaft and take it for a spin, maybe you moved some crud around in the ujoint itself when you greased it, or one of the caps is broken and you pushed out some of the rollers/pins.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2005, 04:16 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryO
Wheel bearing?
Maybe. I just replaced both front bearings this week. I know they are not too loose. Maybe too tight?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Well, I went out and shook the tires. The left front has some movement in it. I can feel it but can't see the movement. Can't get my head around the tire and shake it at the same time to see if there is any movement around the swivel pin. If the bearing is loose would I see movement of the wheel at the hub? I am going to recheck the bearing anyway. If it is the swivel pin can I do much more damage if I take a few long trips in the mean time? The wheel aint gonna fall off is it?

Thanks,

Kevin
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:44 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would jack up that tire and shake top to bottom to see if it's the bearings, when they go you can see movment. It's not to hard to pull the end off and retighten the hub nuts, why not just give that a shot?
Old March 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Thanks Mike,

I will try that in the morning. I have a trip out to Death Valley/Eureka Valley on Sunday. If it is the swivel pin would it make the trip OK. No realy hard wheeling but alot of highway driving to get there. I had a 90st a few years ago and felt the same type of movement in the wheel while out in the desert. Made it home OK and did not notice it on the road. Sold the 90 before I could take it apart and find out wether it was the bearing or swivel pin. I guess I'm talking myself into thinking it will be OK to go on the trip if it is a worn swivel pin
Old June 12th, 2005, 04:20 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

update?

I may have same problem.

Doing about 60mph when letting off the throttle I get a brief resonance, sounds like low groan, lasting 1/4 second maybe. Back on the throttle and it happens briefly again. When at speed nothing. When doing about 40, hardly noticeable.

After I stop, rev the motor, let off it and there's a "pop" at the exhaust Not a misfire just a "burp" really. I don't recall having that before so I'm thinking exhaust leak. Doesn't happen when cold.
Old June 12th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

A lot of the time, the noise and what-not is just the diffs rubbing on the back side of the gears. On acceleration it is on the front. No biggie. My biggest problem is there could be a noise that has always been there unnoticed and then once I hear it, I can't get it the hell out of my head.
Old June 12th, 2005, 10:09 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I installed a 2-inch lift back in January - OME HD front and rear, Rockware spring perches in rear and trailing arms, Rancho 9012/9207 and 33-inch tires.

No vibes until now so it should be related.

I'll start removing shafts and narrow it down. However, is it worth trying to replace UJ's or should I go for a DC? I have read that UJ's have a habit of becoming "engrained" after a while under one setup and changing it (the angle) produces vibes.

So, have any of you solved the problem by simply changing UJ's? I'd hate to sink money into an expense not needed. However, I suspect I'll try the cheap way out first and hope I get lucky.

And here I thought I'd be one of the lucky ones with a lift and no vibes!
Old June 13th, 2005, 08:27 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I would definitely try changing the UJs first, if I can run nearly 4" of lift with stock drive shafts you should be all set. I have found more and more often it is harder to tell that a UJ has gone bad without having to pulling a drive shaft off and find that the UJ "wiggles" just enough that it causes some vibes. I am not running a stock shaft in the rear as I kinda destroyed the stock one, but I had a new shaft made up for about $300 that is capable of 30* at the UJs while the stock can only handle 15*.

Another easy thing to do is to stick your finger in all the fill holes of the diffs, T-case Tranns and so on to get a look at the fluid, clear is good, shinny metal in it isn't too good, and milky chunks swamp is real bad. I do this every time I top off the fluids as a check to see if I should change them.
Old June 13th, 2005, 12:23 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Did the trip to Death Valley and the vibration seems to be gone. Did lots of hard wheeling and lots of miles. Guess the truck was telling me it just wanted to get out and stretch it's legs. Seems the harder I drive it and the more abuse it takes the better it runs, go figure.
Old September 24th, 2005, 05:09 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Found the source of the vibration. Loose nuts on the front of the rear drive shaft. They where finger loose. New lock nuts and vibration is gone

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions