vibration question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 16th, 2005, 05:38 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Question vibration question

I recently had to cross some swollen creeks and mud while working with a drilling crew and had to park the D-90 in a precarious position that night necessitating using the hand brake. It dropped to about 0 degrees and sure enough by next morning the driveline was frozen up solid. With only my radiator fluid to use as a hot fluid, I had to use low range to break the driveline loose. Now I have a slight but quite noticeable vibration while driving over about 40 MPH that was definitely not there before. Any experience regarding this problem and any advice on the most likely fix?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:40 PM
redrover

maybe a little mud on inside of rims. this could throw your wheel balance off.
Old January 16th, 2005, 11:19 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I'm with JP, clean off the mud first and if there is still vibs check the U-joints on the driveshafts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 17th, 2005, 09:32 AM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Not to high jack the thread (probably mud in the rims Steve) but after I park my 90 in the non-climate controlled garage at my house overnight or for a couple of nights with the handbrake on, the driveline is stuck. Like the handbrake is stuck or something. Puting it in gear and giving a little throttle breaks it loose.

The other day I washed the truck after a mud run and parked the truck in the garage without handbrake. About 5 days later I cranked her up and when I put it in R, it was stuck. Some throttle broke it free, no vibes or anything as a result, just curious that the driveline or transmission would stick even without the handbrake on. Oh, and moderate temps this past week or so, lows in the 40's with highs in the 60's.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:25 AM
dameek
Dennis Meek
95 D90 #2826 Bought New

Ronward...it sounds more like your brake calipers are sticking. I can't see how it could be your drive lines.
Old January 17th, 2005, 11:09 AM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks for all the quick input.

I neglected to mention that once I returned to civilization I cleaned out the mud from the rims, thinking as many of you kind folks have suggested, that I might have just thrown off the balance of the wheels with some involuntarily added natural weights. No dice. I managed to squeezed into enough clothing to embolden me to crawl under the beast in my externally-climate-controlled (unheated) garage to see if I could detect anything significant enough to cause the vibration. The U-joints seemed okay and I couldn't see any signs of a problem. I had to admit that I was stumped and am presently having the driveshafts checked to double-check the U-joints and determine whether or not I have a minor bend in one of the shafts (seems unlikely, but as Sherlock Holmes said....).
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:05 AM
redrover

Stephen, you might pull off the parking drum and clean it out. I would bet it has some muck in it from years otf silt/brake dust and maybe a little water. This when combined with those temps could bind up driveline. JP

Follow-up Post:

PS be thankful we all dont live in Deluth MN.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:23 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrover
Stephen, you might pull off the parking drum and clean it out. I would bet it has some muck in it from years otf silt/brake dust and maybe a little water. This when combined with those temps could bind up driveline. JP

Follow-up Post:

PS be thankful we all dont live in Deluth MN.

I'd agree with JP. The parking drum is super easy to access and remove. I had this problem on a previous DII I owned and it was the culprit (salt, water and some brake dust/goo).

I hope Mike isn't outside working on his engine swap.... it's about -20 below today

Stephen, it might also be worth checking your breathers for diffs, etc. Make sure your not running a disproportionate amount of water to oil in those diffs. Make sure you have breathers that work and are well above the water line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:26 AM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
I'd agree with JP. The parking drum is super easy to access and remove. I had this problem on a previous DII I owned and it was the culprit (salt, water and some brake dust/goo).

I hope Mike isn't outside working on his engine swap.... it's about -20 below today
I HOPE he is want my truck back
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:38 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy salmon
I HOPE he is want my truck back
Ha. I'm betting April Jimmy...

You need to call the Repo man.

Old January 18th, 2005, 04:25 PM
stevewhitaker
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90

Registry
Thanks for the advice guys. I am new to the Defender having spent three decades in a Series 109 (vintage 1961) and am having to learn some new ropes. In all these years I never ran into this problem before. I sure appreciate the guidance.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions