Vibration issue - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:53 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Vibration issue

I suddenly have a significant vibration happening at 35mph. From what I can tell, it seems to be related to both the engine RPM and the road speed, i.e. it doesn't happen at lower speeds and same RPM, or at higher speeds and same RPM. I checked last night and could not find anything wrong, except maybe the drag link ends being worn out. The previous owner had a vibration issue that ended up being a broken motor mount but they look fine. Any advice is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2011, 02:13 PM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

easiest check

Tires may be out of balance? check tire pressure on all 4 (see if that helps) Next do you have a vibration when you are breaking? Also, you may want to jack up the front so the wheels are off the ground and grab each wheel one at a time and see if you can move it back and forth more like seeing if it wiggles. Maybe a front axle nut loose.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

The previous owner had a vibration issue that ended up being a broken motor mount but they look fine. Any advice is appreciated.

They may look fine but jack up the engine just to be sure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Ruled out the motor and transmission mounts. It appears to be a tire balance issue, there are no weights on any of the tires for some reason. I think the combination of stick on weights, 107 degrees and oil leaks made the weights fall off.... will get them rebalanced tomorrow.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 11:01 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Tires balanced today, didn't fix the problem. It only happens when accelerating, not decelerating. I'm thinking it might be a driveline vibration (truck has 3" lift), but I have 3000 miles on the truck since the rebuild with no issue. Any thoughts?
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:09 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Anyone have any ideas on this? I need to get this figured out, this truck is my only form of transportation right now, and it's getting worse... Driveshaft? Wheelbearing? CV joint? Tie rod ends? Drag link ends? I don't want to tear everything apart chasing something with no idea what I am looking for.
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:34 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

OK, this is going to be a pain... fist is to take off, completely, the front drive shaft. With that lift it should be a double cardon shaft. If not that may be the problem. Put the truck in diff lock and take for a drive. If you still have the vibration it is not the front drive shaft. Now do the same for the rear after re-installing the front. After doing this and you still have a vibration, after taken off each drive shaft, I would double check all of the motor mounts and transmission mounts once more. I would also check all of the steering components to make sure they are tight. You can also check the swivel balls by lifting up one front tire and wiggle it back and fro and up and down. If you have a lot of play your bearings might be going bad. However from the description of the vibration I would guess that it is the front drive shaft.
Old August 5th, 2011, 01:42 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

^^ good advise.
Sounds like the drive line, chock the wheels and take it out of gear. check for play at u-joints... it may be obvious.
Old August 5th, 2011, 11:00 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

The culprit... i can almost pull it apart by hand. So is it an issue to run in 2wd with the diff locked until I can get it fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	40916  
Old August 6th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Yep, easy fix however. Was it on the front or rear shaft?
Old August 6th, 2011, 08:08 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Front. Is this u-joint available at Napa or autozone? You happen to know a part number? I'll have to address the lift somehow though, or it will just happen again.
Old August 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM
MAX711
Andrew Dance
1994 D-90 ST

I got mine from Autozone. Part number 1-0005DL $22 . They had one in stock at my local store. Comes with everything you need including the circlips.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions