Vibes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 21st, 2005, 02:51 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I have kind of piece mealed my suspension set up over the last year and currently have Rovertym 2" springs - which is roughly 2.5" of lift, and Rovertym brake lines. I am running an old set of Fox shocks from a SG stage 2 JEK. I think the rear is 10" and the front 9". I also have a GBR front drive shaft. I have BFG 255/85/16 on Stock Alloys - but will be replacing these with American Racing 16x7 Black Nugget's. I have Rovertracks rear links on order. BTW - I have removed both anti sway bars.

The question is I am having some crazy vibrations in the front and I am wondering if the Rovertym radius arms and swivel balls will help my situation or I have thought about a SG 3 link but I am a little worried about what it will do to the road handling.

I would like to increase articulation and would like to add some longer shocks at some point.

Based on the info above I am looking for suggestions to help reduce the vibrations and possibly what size shocks I could run or any general ideas as to something I could do better.

If the truck makes it - the trail wasn't tough enough.
If the truck doesn't make it - the truck wasn't tough enough.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 08:56 PM
Hans Haase
The Lab Rat
Check your bushings, ball joints and steering stablizer. Generally front end vibrations are the result of something that doesn't have the elasticity it used to.

My oil line fix

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:44 AM
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor
Joe, first off, the 3 link does not make it handle bad on road at all. My truck feels great and I have the 3" rym springs. and Rym rear links. First thing I would do is wait till U get the rear links and install them. pick up an angle finder and place it on your rear brake drum. It prob will be angles down at approx 3 or 4 deg. NOw you want your pinion with your new rear links to point up at approx the same angle. You willl be able to adjust this with the spacers supplied by RYM.
Now take it for a ride. If you still get vibs you could remove the front shaft to see if they stop if they do, you could do the radius arms or the 3 link. Also, you prob dont need a DC shaft with that hight. You might be better off with the stock shaft. I would go with the 3 link cause it is adjustable and easy to set up. You also do that with an angle finder. My truck whips along at 70mph with no problems.
Legend in My Own Mind.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions