Vent Openings ? Newbie - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM
1995 D90
Vent Openings ? Newbie

Does the drivers side vent open as far as the passenger side. I decided to replace the vent seals today, what a pain in the a. Passenger side opened all the way after some wd40. Getting the bolts out was a pain. The drivers side was a different story. I ended up opening it as far as I could. Which was about halfway. Then I took out the pins to give me a little more wiggle room. After about an hour I finaly got the bolts out. After looking at it I noticed the Arm the holds the bracket the bolts go through is bent. Almost 45% angle. But the bracket lies flat to attach the vent. Its almost like someone bent it so the arm was not as long. Hence the vent not opening as far. Is this supposed to be like this? I have a feeling that reinstalling the vent cover is going to be tough. Guess drivers side vent is not to important if it does not open all the way. Just want to make sure it does not leak anymore.

Old May 25th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Chris Hinkle
More than I need
The two sides are identical and should open the same. It may have been bent when someone installed it, which can be a pain. Also, if you take the cross bar on the rollcage off, things are easier.

Old May 25th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
did you use the Series3 vent seal kit, or is there a Defender specific kit?? Id love to stop the leaking as well..

"Yeah, make sure its a flatbed...."
Old May 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
first answer. it was probably stuck and someone forced it, and that was the end result a bend.

use the series 3 kit works great but real stiff until they wear in.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions