Vent & Door Seals Question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Vent & Door Seals Question

So I ordered the Series III vent seals from RDS (shameless plug for George) and received them yesterday. I wanted to use some black sealant on the body side when installing them, but they showed up with a white powdery substance on them. I am not sure how to remove it. I wiped them down with an alcohol swab, but when they dried it reappeared. I am concerned that the sealant won't bond to them with this still in place. Have any of you come across this? What did you do to remove it?

Second, I was wondering if anyone had a picture of the new style door seals (the bottom ones that attach to the door itself) installed. I am just looking to double check the proper way to fit them before going ahead.

Thanks guys!
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Bump...anyone?
Old November 12th, 2008, 11:48 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Andrew,
I will try to get you some picts. of the bottom seal. I believed I had to pop rivet mine in after removing the old ones and I think all of the holes aligned between the door and the seal. As far as the vent seals, 3M makes a weather strip adhesive (it looks like yellow snot) for lack of a more eloquent description which should probably do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Thanks Clay. My doors have the holds, and I was planning to rivet it on, but I guess I just wanted to double check which way the seal goes on and how the foam blocks are supposed to be installed.
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:09 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I used clear silicone on the vent seals. Doesn't glue them in but it will hold them in place.
Old November 13th, 2008, 06:30 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I ordered some from Rovers North, and they came with Contact cement (you know, got to put it on both surfaces and it then they bond to each glue covered surface.

My rubbers had a powdery substance on them as well. Did not affect the bonding.

FYI

Thanks
Dendy
Old November 14th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Alright, thanks for your input. I guess I'll just go ahead and put them on as they are then.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
door, seals