Vegetable Oil Conversion - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 1st, 2009, 04:02 PM
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto
I ran my 200tdi on vegtable oil only for about a year until the price of veg oil was the same as diesel, had no problem at all just the feint smell of chips.
on diesel it started instantly even in winter on oil it would turn over twice before starting.

i also ran it on bio-diesel and noticed no difference from diesel and noticed it did fill the filter and left some slime in the sedementor, i was told that would happen as the bio-diesel will clear the tank and lines when first used.

however i only paid 400 for the disco and sold it for 270 when the gearbox left for the road.
i'll run my 300 on 50/50 when its finally finished.

regards all

Old December 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI
Honestly it is just better to do the transesterification process with a good dry wash and then you just need to mix 30% fossil diesel in when the ambient temperature is below about 5C or so. This also removes the impurities that no amount of pre-filtering can reasonably remove.

-- - Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly - Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts! - Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions