VDO Vision EGT pyrometer sensor installation. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 21st, 2009, 09:55 AM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

VDO Vision EGT pyrometer sensor installation.

I need some help installing my VDO Vision EGT sensor. I plan to drill the EGR blanking plate and weld the fitting supplied to the plate and WaaLaa ....done deal. Ah but not so simple.

Couple of questions.
1) How important is it to get the sensor tip into the main section of exhaust manifold? The EGR plate is at about a 25 degree angle from perpendicular and if I use the fitting so that I get maximum penetration (i e weld from inside side of plate) the probe will come in contact with the bottom of the exhaust manifold. Potential solution but more difficult than I wanted to do, would be to have the fitting at an apppropriate angle on the plate to keep the sensor horizontal and thus acheivemore depth into the manifold.

I guess the real question iwould be; is the gas temperature in the segment of the manifold where the EGR resided adequately representative of the EGT in real time. Do I need to get the probe into the main segment of the Manifold or is just residing in the two inch section of the former EGR adequate?

I know I am probably overthinking this but as the EGT is a rapidly changing value, the quest for good data seems reasonable.

Love your forum.

Cwolfe
Two Harbors MN
1984 110 Defender 300 TDI
1959 Series II 109 PU

PS As a new defender owner, (Series owner for 2 1/2 decades) I anticipate lots of questions and quandaries as I dwell into making her my daily driver. I do solemnly swear to adequately search my quest before posting for help. However, mundane and seemingly idiotic questions may pop up from time to time. Please tolerate like a doddering old uncle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2009, 10:04 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

There is a post somewhere on this site that has pictures and everything you are looking for, try searching EGT.

I thought I had a link but can not find it at the moment
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:08 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
ROFL. Nice first post, and welcome aboard. Sorry I can't help with the diesel stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 21st, 2009, 12:31 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I welded mine in as to be horizontal with the ground in attempting to get the tip of the probe in the center of the exhaust flow. This is where the temperature is the highest, so I've heard or read. The company I bought mine from had various length probes available. I think I bough the 2-1/2" probe to try and accomplish this.

Then there's the debate, "should the probe be positioned before or after the turbo?"

Dennis
Old November 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Make sure you remove the egt block off plate and get a feel for the hole you are trying to stick the probe into- you dont want to run the probe into cast iron. FWIW I just drill and tap that plate and do not weld the supplied bung to the plate.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 21st, 2009, 05:23 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
What Doug said. You can just get it to thread into the plate. Though it appears mine is leaking a bit. Wonder if some furnace cement will fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Make sure you remove the egt block off plate and get a feel for the hole you are trying to stick the probe into- you dont want to run the probe into cast iron. FWIW I just drill and tap that plate and do not weld the supplied bung to the plate.
Follow-up Post:

Before. Unless you like melting things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis
Then there's the debate, "should the probe be positioned before or after the turbo?"

Dennis
Old November 22nd, 2009, 09:34 AM
sundogcwolfe
Charles R. Wolfe
1984 110, 300Tdi

Thanks for all your input. It does appear that unless I weld it to the horizontal, the tip of the VDO vision probe won't reach into the open chamber part of the the manifold.

Now I have to reconcile the different approaches to boost gauge senors. Do I just t-off the tube to the waste gaste (easy) and get turbo production boost or do I go through the labor of tapping into the intake plenum and get the boost the manifold is seeing. Hmmm. Seem like I would need to remove the intake manifold to do this will and remove the risk of getting any drill fragments into the mix.

Decisions Decisions. I hope that old girl appreciates the mildly stressful yet enjoyable contemplation that her new driver undergoes as he readies her for adventures. Over the years, I have had many vehicles but have melded with only a few. Those are the ones that we count our decades by. My foray into the garage with this vehicle fills me with the anticipation of the successful flirtations of a early relationship. To quote Rick from Casa Blanca, "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Cwolfe
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:43 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I've always had manifolds off for drilling and tapping but I have since heard that not everyone does. You can put grease on the drill and the tap to catch the majority of the chips. And you can vaccum out the manifold too. Not to mention you can drill and tap the plug @ the back of the 300tdi intake. Use the search to see photos, there is a big merged VDO/EGT/Etc Etc thread.

In fact this should probably get merged into that thread.

Congrats on your new ride. Photos? Is this one that belonged to a list member before?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundogcwolfe
Thanks for all your input. It does appear that unless I weld it to the horizontal, the tip of the VDO vision probe won't reach into the open chamber part of the the manifold.

Now I have to reconcile the different approaches to boost gauge senors. Do I just t-off the tube to the waste gaste (easy) and get turbo production boost or do I go through the labor of tapping into the intake plenum and get the boost the manifold is seeing. Hmmm. Seem like I would need to remove the intake manifold to do this will and remove the risk of getting any drill fragments into the mix.

Decisions Decisions. I hope that old girl appreciates the mildly stressful yet enjoyable contemplation that her new driver undergoes as he readies her for adventures. Over the years, I have had many vehicles but have melded with only a few. Those are the ones that we count our decades by. My foray into the garage with this vehicle fills me with the anticipation of the successful flirtations of a early relationship. To quote Rick from Casa Blanca, "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Cwolfe
Old November 22nd, 2009, 10:54 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

My understanding is that the intake manifold is the best place to locate the feed for the boost gauge.

I just drilled and tapped mine Saturday and here is how I did it.

inserted a vacume cleaner into the intake at the same depth that I planned to drill the hole
put grease on the drill bit
turned on vac
drilled hole
put grease on tap
tapped hole

After I was done I did not see and chips of aluminum in the intake

With that said I have a Defender 200tdi and ended up removing the exhaust manifold to drill / tap the EGT probe and damaged the gasket so I ended up removing the intake after all.

With the intake manifold off I was able to tell that there was a little fine aluminum dust in the area where I drilled. Not sure if the fine aluminum dust would cause issue but I cleaned it out really well.

If I were to install one in the future I would get one of the little barbs that installs into the intercooler hose or weld a bung in the metal tube between the intercooler and the intake or just remove the intake to drill / tap.
Old November 25th, 2009, 09:42 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Didnt I post a bunch of pics related to all this? Maybe in the 300TDI performance thread?
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I ordered an OEM blanking plate and gasket to drill a hole and weld the threaded sensor holder onto. Why is the gasket so damn thick? It's twice as thick as the blanking plate itself. I'm concerned that if I use the gasket the probe won't go in far enough. Thought?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
installation, sensor