VDO Speedometer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

VDO Speedometer

I know there are threads on this already. I have read those, and the FAQ section, but I still can not track down a part. I want to install the VDO Vision speedometer into my '94...I need to replace the mechanical sender with the electronic sender LR#AMR1253. This sender has a plug fitting that connects the sender to the speedometer.

My question is where can I get this plug/wire, or do I have to make one?

Thanks,
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2003, 04:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Mark, does the sender have 3 prongs on it?
Old December 16th, 2003, 05:06 PM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

here is a picture of the part from Atlantic British
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 16th, 2003, 05:25 PM
blofurno
Brian Lofurno
1995 D90

If you are installing this into a 94, you do not want to use that sender from a 97 (pictured above).

I "read" the post also a few years ago and tried to go that way with a 95. It does not work.

What you want to do is get the VDO transducer and get the speedo cable modified. The part numbers and spec for the cable mod or listed in the FAQ (I think).

The problem is that on the 94-95, there is another transducer between the T-case and the speedo. This feeds info to the ECU. If you bypass it, you will have running problems.

Take a look in the FAQ section again and you should find a write up describing this.

Brian
Old December 16th, 2003, 07:04 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The one I have has 3 pins but looks the same. If you need a connection to fit it, it is the same connector that is on the rear brake lights and turning signals. You can buy them at RN. Brian, will the speedo still work if you hook it up direct to that sender? My truck did not have a transducer. Just a cable from the t-case directly to the speedo. When I picked up my new t-case which was a 2000 model year unit, it had a similar sender already mounted but it had 3 pins. they were pmarked +, - , and something else. What do you think?

Randy
Old December 17th, 2003, 12:48 AM
scot
Scot Yount
95 Coniston Green D-90 SW

Brian,

you are right about the sending unit on '94s. It is supposed to send important info to the ECU and when my lower speedo cable broke two years ago....I got the dreaded "check engine" light and malfunction code signifying "road speed error" as you might expect.

However, not only did I NOT have any running problems....it started running much BETTER than it ever did before. So...I just ignore the light and don't bother to look at the speedo...cuz it don't work.
Old December 17th, 2003, 09:26 AM
mgrgpg
Mark
1989 D110

Brian,

So if I understand it correctly, I leave the sender that is mounted on the frame rail, and the lower speedometer cable that goes from the frame rail to the transfer case. I have to get a short adapter cable made that screws into the sender on the frame rail (same end that the upper cable screws into) and the other end that matches the VDO transducer.

The VDO transducer takes the mechanical (spinning signal) and translates that into the electrical signal for the speedometer.

Is this correct?

Thanks,
Mark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
speedo