VDO gauges - help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Mrenkil
Mike
'86 D90 w/ 300tdi

VDO gauges - help

I could use some help getting the right gauges. I'm new to LR/Defender and have a 300TDI in an '86 wagon, just to add some fun to the hunt for the right items. I bought new gauges and out of 4, only the tach was the right one. The guel guage sender didn't match what is on the tank, but after looking at the fill tube and cap, I think the tank my be off of a Series. Here are two pictures I have taken. Any help on the right guages to get would be appreciated.

Need:
Speedometer
Water temp sender
Fuel guage / Sender
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	b7399708.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	51502   Click image for larger version

Name:	67d7ceb7.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	51503  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 13th, 2012, 03:56 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrenkil
I could use some help getting the right gauges. I'm new to LR/Defender and have a 300TDI in an '86 wagon, just to add some fun to the hunt for the right items. I bought new gauges and out of 4, only the tach was the right one. The guel guage sender didn't match what is on the tank, but after looking at the fill tube and cap, I think the tank my be off of a Series. Here are two pictures I have taken. Any help on the right guages to get would be appreciated.

Need:
Speedometer
Water temp sender
Fuel guage / Sender
Measure the resistance of your fuel sender empty and full and you will know what's the matching gauge. For the temp gauge ... Buy a new matching sensor. For the speedo you probably need a VSS ( vehicle speed sensor ) to replace the cable setup.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 13th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There is a long thread on replacing VDO gauges here that lists all the correct parts. Do a search.
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Mrenkil
Mike
'86 D90 w/ 300tdi

Bump. By the pictures, does anyone know which fuel tank this is originally from. In d90 now, but I don't think it's stock.
Old May 17th, 2012, 11:38 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Looks like a stock 90 tank from those photos.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions