Various Top Options - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Various Top Options

HI,

When I bought the truck in August of 1995 I installed the Bikinni Top right away. It was on there thru October until It got to cold for me in Maryland. I then put the soft top on.

After another 3-4 months I ended up buying the fiberglass hardtop. It just worked so much better for me. After adding the factory roof rack, it just became to difficult of a process to ever think about putting the soft top back on.

11 years later I still have that Hard top on. And the soft top and Bikinni top have been in plastic bags, with the soft top windows, flat in the leather carying bag. I believe I have every part - it is not like me to lose things.

---------------------------------------------------

QUESTIONS:

1) Will the hard top last forever. That is one reason I kept the tops - in case my hard top started falling apart, leaking like crazy, etc.

2) Should I just sell the soft top and Bikinni tops? I don't even know their values......

3) I don't even remember the installation process. IS IT POSSIBLE to take off the fiberglass hard top, and install the soft top, WITHOUT removing the factory roof rack??? How cool would it be to drive arround in the summer with the roof rack on, and the top off the car. But I don't think I want to remove that roof rack each time I change tops........

4) This fiberglass hard top still seems to be in good shape........and holding up well. Is there anything I should be doing with it to continue to make it last.

Thanks for all your idea!!

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2006, 01:34 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

There is a complete break down of the fiberglass top in Tech articles I think so it might be possible to remove the top basket and front supports and take the top apart in sections if you cant manage to slip it off with those 2 parts removed. I think it can be done but you are not looking at quick swap outs between the 2 differant tops.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
jam90
JAMES MARKS
1995 D90 NAS ST #2043

Here's another question to add to this post...

I have the Land Rover/Safety Devices rack on my soft-top and would like to remove just the basket and leave the two ladders attached to the back... is this OK to do or do the ladders need the basket for support...
would this put to much weight/pressure on the back?

-James Marks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

A few people have made rails that go from the ladder to the front supports so they can run without the basket. You need these due to the fact the read ladders have no other upper attachment/support spots. Someone had a real good shot of thiers in their profile. Let me see if I can find it.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old April 20th, 2006, 09:23 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you do not remove the hardtop it should last indefinately.

If you start taking it on and off it will fail. They are relatively easy to make stop leaking if it starts.

Ron
Old April 20th, 2006, 10:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I am very confident that you cannot remove the hardtop without taking the rack off. I've had that set up and didnt even attempt it.
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Thank you everyone for all your thoughts and comments........Flagg

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions