Vaper or Smoke around Gas Cap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 5th, 2015, 10:23 AM
Rob Blood
2005 LR3
Vaper or Smoke around Gas Cap

So, I have just taken delivery of my 1985 90 so am very excited. I'm wondering if it is typical with a 200TDI to have some vapor or smoke coming out around the gas cap area. There is also a small tube just beneath the gas tank that seems to emit exhaust or vapor. See the attached video for visuals.

Attached Files

Old October 5th, 2015, 11:37 AM
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

I'm assuming that the vapor is either atomized diesel (which makes no sense to me) or crank case smoke (also not right to me) and that small line at the bottom of the tank you are referring to is the tank vent. you have the diesel pickup, the leakback, the vent and the fill. pickup and leakback are a closed circuit. Neither are exposed any kind of crankcase pressure that would pressurize your tank. if you're engine is idling and you remove the fuel cap, do you get vapor coming straight out of the fill?

Just to clarify, when you say gas cap, do you actually mean gas/fuel cap in the back, or oil fill cap?
Mark Kellgren

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

gas, gas cap