Valve Cover Gasket and Tierod replacement - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 10th, 2009, 12:46 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Valve Cover Gasket and Tierod replacement

Is it hard to replace the valve cover gasket yourself? It looks like you unbolt, remove the old, and stick on the new. Am I missing something?

Also is it hard to replace the Right outer tierod end? It looks like the part is cheap? Does it come with the boot?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

In theory, that's about it. But on the driver side you also need to pull off the intake plenum. On the passenger side it's the coolant lines running to the heater core. Also expect to have to pull the spark plug wires on whichever side, mark them to make installing easier.

You're also going to need a 12pt socket of the correct size if you don't already have. In all honesty, I can't recall the size and can't find the socket I used for it. It's one of two important 12pt bolts I've found on the truck, the other being the one between the hub and rotor.

My tie rods all came with the boots. Might as well get the whole set including the drop arm rebuild kit, and do them all at once. It may be easy if they come off ok. Could potentially be a shop job if they're rusted on too much. Some guys just replace the whole tie rod to make it easier on themselves.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I have to get under the truck and look. Where would you get the drop arm rebuild kit? IS there any special adjusting or does it just all bolt in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 10th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, check into the entire tie rod. Last time I replaced one it was cheaper to buy the rod with ends than it was to just buy two ends!

I believe the VC bolts are 12pt 8mm. Finally, there is a phillips head screw that attaches the dipstick to the VC on the left side, so you have to remove that, then wiggle and pull the dipstick out or twist it around out of the way. Be careful when you remove the VC's that you don't drop any of the brass bushings into the head as they have a tendency to separate from the gasket over time. Other than that, just make sure the gasket is on there correctly before you tighten the bolts back down.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, cover, gas