Value of Euro-Spec Defenders in the USA - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:02 PM
ClevelandBaller
Sean
None

Value of Euro-Spec Defenders in the USA

Hi,
Sorry if this isn't the correct place for this thread, I'm new here So first off, I'm in the military stationed in Italy, and ever since I got here I've noticed the abundance of Land Rover Defenders EVERYWHERE, especially in the mountains. I didn't know about this car until I came here, and I really love the badassness of them. To think I used to actually want a Jeep Wrangler . I was planning on buying one and bringing it back with me just to drive myself, but then I saw the insane prices they go for in the US... I can buy a decent 1988 Defender 90 for around 10,000 euro! (of course it has to be older than 25 yrs for me to bring it to the states)

My question is, how are euro-spec models valued in the states compared to us-spec? Would it still sell for $60,000+ like I've seen on various American auto sale websites? What are some things to consider when appraising one of these?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:09 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Welcome and thank you for your service.

A stock left hand drive 1988 D90 in solid unrestored condition should sell here in the high teens low 20s... buy it to enjoy it not as an investment...you might double but won't quadruple + your money on that truck..lots of dreamers listing trucks for silly money that don't sell
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:12 PM
ClevelandBaller
Sean
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Welcome and thank you for your service.

A stock left hand drive 1988 D90 in solid unrestored condition should sell here in the high teens low 20s... buy it to enjoy it not as an investment...you might double but won't quadruple + your money on that truck..lots of dreamers listing trucks for silly money that don't sell
Thanks for the quick response.
Why is that? What makes some sell for over $60,000 and others not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 25th, 2017, 04:22 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

North American Spec NAS defenders were born different, and relatively few of them were made and they were serialized hence the value. The add-ons that NAS vehicles came with from the factory can be had, but prepare to shell out some cash. In the end the truck still won't be as valuable.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2017 05:24 PM ------

You in Sigonella?
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:28 PM
ClevelandBaller
Sean
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by defenderholty View Post
North American Spec NAS defenders were born different, and relatively few of them were made and they were serialized hence the value. The add-ons that NAS vehicles came with from the factory can be had, but prepare to shell out some cash. In the end the truck still won't be as valuable.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2017 05:24 PM ------

You in Sigonella?
Ah that's a little disappointing to hear. Do european Defenders at least go up in value like the American ones? Or are they just not rare enough?

And nope I'm way up in Aviano
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:32 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

They can go up in value if they are really really well done but the investment is high.

Don't expect to buy one and sell it for more here
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:34 PM
ClevelandBaller
Sean
None

Hmm.. alright I might just get a decent 90 and make it my project vehicle. Thanks for the info everyone
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:40 PM
cowboy
steven
'84 110 & '90 127 LHD 2-carb V8's

They have been going up...I personally consider them a much better value. Seeing as how anyone's grandma can rent any ol' sedan at the airport & blow the mofo doors off a NAS, then what's really the point of paying more bc it has a somewhat better motor & trans than a Euro-Spec? Show me a good deal on a Euro-spec with a quality LS swap done by a mechanic within AAA tow range & I'll show you the best Defender in the world for me.
Old September 25th, 2017, 04:48 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBaller View Post
Thanks for the quick response.
Why is that? What makes some sell for over $60,000 and others not?
this
Attached Images

Old September 25th, 2017, 05:01 PM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

IF you plan to bring one back consider the following to ensure maximum resale value here in the USA:
1) Make sure the serial number on the bulkhead matches the one on the frame...if they don't match it can create real problems for DOT registrations in certain states (Like North Carolina...)
2) Pretty soon it will be 2018...that means you should be able to buy a 1993 Defender...that means you should be able to get it with a 200 TDI Engine which is much better than the diesel or turbo diesels in the 1988 versions. It will automatically be worth more here, even if you decide to pull it and put something else in.
3) Check the bulkhead for rust: All around the window vents and underneath the carpet...ie the footwells. They are steel, and while the bulkhead can be replaced, better and more valuable if not needed.
4) Rear cross-member may also be rusty, but don't get too freaked out...this is also replaceable, and doing so is not nearly as big a deal as the bulkhead. Best thing about a rust-free rear cross-member (rear bumper) is that IF it is original, it probably means the rest of the frame is A-!!

Other than the above, all the routine things...mileage, condition of drive train, well maintained or abused, etc. Mileage a bigger deal for the gas engines than the diesel ones...

Bought mine from a guy in Nevada 18 months ago, and I have been enjoying (and working on for the past year and a half) and it is still my daily driver. Not a day goes by when I don't get a thumbs up from somebody, and I am confident I could sell for more than I paid, but I have been constantly doing stuff to improve the mechanical condition...and I am keeping it as stock as possible.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:19 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
this
x2. I spent enough on mine in the rebuild to buy a NAS, but I wouldn't trade mine for a NAS. I built it exactly like I wanted it and almost all new parts. I could rebuild my old truck from the parts that I didn't re-use and drive it.

------ Follow up post added September 25th, 2017 06:20 PM ------

...if the old engine ran that is
Old September 25th, 2017, 05:46 PM
defenderholty
Russell
1985 LR Ninety 200tdi

Quote:
Ah that's a little disappointing to hear. Do european Defenders at least go up in value like the American ones? Or are they just not rare enough?

And nope I'm way up in Aviano

Ahh.
European Defenders will brobably appreciate at least a little and as long as you don't to anything too rediculous to it -see hall of shame on this forum. If you are starting with a solid truck and maintain it then you should be fine. LS swaps are really trendy at the moment. Time will tell weather they keep their value. Well respcted shops are selling ls swap defenders for a mint.
Old September 25th, 2017, 06:27 PM
Shaddrach
Tom
None

If you know when you will PCS, you can use that to determine what model Defender you can ship over. Say you PCS in 2020, you can go ahead and purchase a 1995 model, drive it a couple years, and it could be 25 years old by the time you come back. Just make sure you pay attention down to the month. A lot of importers know the value of Defenders when they hit 25, so prices tend to rise as they Approach that 25 year old mark in Europe, so that is why it’s better to pick one up that is yet to cross that threshold.

Considering Left Hand Drive models, AC equipped models, and 110 or 130s will help your ability to resale in the states. The 5 doors and 4 door pickups tend to command a higher price than the 90s.

I’m in the Air Force as well. There is money to be made, for sure, if you buy right and do a little homework...especially since you can ship your car back to the U.S. for free.
Old September 25th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
If you can get a stock 200Tdi (1990-on) it will be more valuable. 110 SW even more value. If it's white, add some more. It's quite easy to spruce them up (new tyres & Freestyle Alloys will really help) New seats & A/C will bump it up too. It really depends on what you want. If you're buying to sell, that's one thing. If not, buy what you want- after doing some research.

Thanks for your service.
Old September 25th, 2017, 10:23 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

There are some special models of the Defender that can be worth as much or more than a NAS, so if you're concerned about its' value you could look for one of those. One of them that is becoming eligible for import is the 90 SV. It looks like a NAS with the soft top padded roll cage, but it has a 200Tdi. They only made 90 of them, but occasionally you see one come up for sale (like this one).
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:02 AM
ztr5
Zane
85/D90

Very much agree with everyone's assessment, you won't lose money should you decide to sell in the States but it likely won't be 4x the cost.

Some things to consider that may help maintain margins:

Do what work/replacements you can while your abroad. It's cheaper for parts (new and old).

As members have mentioned, keep the 25 year rule in mind. Currently NAS trucks are both more rare and newer than ROW trucks, in the states, due to this rule. We are now reaching the point where that no longer will be the case. NAS 110s were sold in '93. If you buy a '94 and bring it back in 2019, it might not be NAS but a buyer might appreciate that it's newer. I have been waiting to see how this plays out in the defender market over the next 5-10 years.
Old September 27th, 2017, 11:06 AM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztr5 View Post
Currently NAS trucks are both more rare and newer than ROW trucks, in the states, due to this rule. We are now reaching the point where that no longer will be the case. .
Will always be more rare than a ROW truck of the same vintage hence more valuable...period.
Old September 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yeah unless it’s a limited edition, but most people don’t know much about most of them except for obvious ones like the Heritage, 50th, or SVX, so the value of most of them probably isn’t much higher than a standard RoW to most people in the US. I think we can look at the current Defender market in Canada to get an idea of relative values for the US in 10 years. I would imagine newer models like the Td5 & 2.8i are commanding a premium over older models.
Old September 27th, 2017, 01:01 PM
DCG
David
1984 110 CSW 3.5 V8 LHD

Wouldn't a lot of folks choose an all disc 300TDi over a Td5? Or is this up for debate? That's what I would choose... but other than what is noted, what advantage does a factory Td5 have over a 300?
Old September 27th, 2017, 01:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Hmm.. alright I might just get a decent 90 and make it my project vehicle. Thanks for the info everyone
If you care about money, then you want a 130. If you can't get a 130, get a 110. If you can't get a 110, get a 90.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender