v8 to tdi swap...what all do i need? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 19th, 2011, 08:26 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
v8 to tdi swap...what all do i need?

I am contemplating doing a 300tdi swap on a V8 Defender. I would like some advice as to all the parts I will need. The donor vehicle will be a 96 Disco. So far I have come up with the following list:

300tdi including gear box, transfer box, air intake, manifolds, turbo, starter, alternator, injector pump, radiator, intercooler all cooling and turbo related piping, coolant bottle, fuel filter head and lines, glow plug controller and associated wiring.

How much of the wiring will I need?

What am I missing to do a complete V8 to tdi swap?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 08:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

There is a difference between the 90 300 TDI and the Disco 300 TDI... Some modifications will be needed to use the Disco 300.

Old December 19th, 2011, 09:12 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
Scott,

Is it hard to do to Disco modifications. The Disco parts seem to be more readily available.

Should I focus my efforts on a Defender 300tdi?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 19th, 2011, 09:21 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The engine harness for the 300 Tdi is minimal. You need a switched wire for the injection pump, oil sending unit , coolant thermostat, glow plugs, alternator, and starter motor. The glow plugs work off a timer relay but you could fix a switch for that. The throttle works off a wire from the gas peddle to the injection pump.
A 300 Tdi Disco motor, I believe, has a different intake/exhaust manifold. It will not work in a LHD truck, not enough room. You should be able to source a Defender one.
Old December 19th, 2011, 09:35 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
Thanks Mike. Glad I posted before pulling the trigger.
Old December 20th, 2011, 06:34 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Both versions of the 300tdi motor (Discovery and Defender up to '96) are identical. The difference is the transmission (shifter locations) and underhood in the air filter arrangement and the radiator frame. The Defender wiring harness is also generally a little easier to work with. Some of the later Disco motors had electronic injection pumps. You dont want those.
Regardless of the similarity of the actual motor it is still advised to find a defender take out and make things easier on yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old December 20th, 2011, 08:04 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Don't you also have to change the mounts on the frame? Not sure there. You probably will want new oil cooler lines, PS lines, maybe a diesel fuel tank with it's associated senders and filter thingies, maybe a egt gauge, a tach that's calibrated for diesels, some ear plugs, exhaust system ( altho you may be able to reuse some of the pipes ) the proper radiator shroud, heavy duty battery, a (optional) raised air intake.
I'm sure I'm missing something too but as you might begin to see it is not an easy thing.
Is there some huge compelling reason why you want to swap to diesel, other than the issue of Rover V8s being utter dogs? Please don't cite fuel economy cz the amortization of this swap will take decades.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
This may sound weird but its for a future build. Im starting to collect parts and will start by getting a drive train. Then depending on what I buy (most likely a 110 SW) I will have the drive train ready. I may even consider a NAS 110.

On the other hand I may just end up importing one with the tdi installed. There is a lot more to it than I expected.

Just thinking through the different scenarios.
Old December 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
As mentioned, be prepared for a variety of custom mods to fit the Disco system to the Defender. If you do not like doing mods, get a Defender setup. There are lots of write-ups around. Do some Googling....

If it were me, I would at least use the Defender gearbox. Having the shifter in the middle of the seatbox is pretty redneck.
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
The throttle works off a wire from the gas peddle to the injection pump.
A 300 Tdi Disco motor, I believe, has a different intake/exhaust manifold. It will not work in a LHD truck, not enough room. You should be able to source a Defender one.
The throttle is only via a rheostat/potentiometer on the 97/98 disco with automatic (aka fly by wire). All of the other year discovery engines were exactly the same as the defenders as Matt said. There are no different manifolds between a disco and defender 300 tdi- this is only true of the 200 tdi models. The ONLY differences between a disco and defender 300 tdi engine setups are the air filters and the wiring harness's. On a defender the round air filter housing is held by a bracket with two bands and clamps. This bracket is fastened to the engine under two of the outer cyl head bolts. On a disco its a black plastic affair just like a V8 disco.
Just make sure you get a non- fly by wire engine and everything else will be fine.You will need the 300 tdi frame mounts. There is a source for these with a jig pattern to position them correctly for welding on ebay Uk marketed as a kit.

You can't use a disco r380 in a defender without signifigant modifications- parts can be had from ashcrofts to make it work,or you may want to just buy the right transmission as John suggests.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old December 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

I've done a couple of my own vehicle engine conversions using the disco 300Tdi, and helped on numerous others, so here's my $0.02 worth:

Both discovery and defender 300 engines were the same (manifolds etc). as was said, later disco ones had the 'fly by wire' throttle pedal and electronic injection pump. you can make these work in a defender, but far easier to just get the non electronic ones. you can swap FIP's over from non-electronic to electronic, so it's all easily removable. (200Tdi's were different betweem disco & defender)

Chassis mounts are different for the 300 (compared to V8 and 2.5). If anyone wants them, fling me a PM with your email and i'll send over some photo's I took with dimensions marked down, for the mount size & position on a defender chassis (same position on 90 & 110)

Radiators are different size between disco & defender... disco water radiator is bigger (intercoolers are the same), but you can chop the chassis lower mounts down on a defender and then make the disco unit fit in. although neater and "factory" to get the proper radiator for the job... all the hoses will then fit properly too.
EGR system is easily removed from the exhaust manifold. most Disco's had a cat fitted in the down pipe of the exhaust, easily removed for better breathability.

Gearbox is the R380, although as has been said, the disco one has the main shifter and transfer shifter in opposite places, so on a defender (using the disco main box) the 1-5 & Reverse shifter would come up through the front of the seat box. Having driven a 110 converted like this, i can say it's actually more comfortable driving position than a factory defender, but it fecks up your interior (if you like the "factory" look, as I do)

Transfer box is the same LT230, although all disco's had the 1.2:1... depending on your engine tune and tyre size, you might be OK with this.

Transmission sits on a removable crossmember. get it from the donor disco.

engine electrics are dead simple.

only 4 wires needed on the engine loom (oil pressure light switch, water temp sender, FIP fuel cut off solenoid, alternator charge light).. easy to pick these up on the old V8 loom and splice in.

There's a couple more cables though.... starter motor feed from the battery (and the alternator output loops around the engine and bolts onto the back of the starter)
Starter solenoid trigger (comes from the ignition key relay)...this is usually a larger diameter cable that has its own plug & socket

Fuel pipes are custom to the 300Tdi. although you may be able to get them off of the donor vehicle. lift pump is mechanically driven on the side of the engine.

Air box is custom to the 300, although you could utilise the V8 one or the disco one, depends on how proper you want the engine bay to look.

That's about it I think... shout if you need more info.

Oh, some years back (2001 looking at the date on the document) when the D90 forum used to be an email type forum, not like it is now, i compiled a list of pretty much everything I could think of to convert a NAS V8 into Tdi, using all factory parts.

Knock yourselves out! (should be attached)

cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: doc 300Tdi parts list for engine conversion.doc (15.5 KB, 165 views)
Old December 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

Added:

Attached should be the Tdi mounting bracket dimensions
Attached Files
File Type: zip 300Tdi mounting dimensions.zip (698.2 KB, 169 views)
Old December 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
spartan
Fred
83 D110

Registry
John, Doug, Jamie THANK YOU.

Jamie, wow great info. I appreciate you sharing it!
Old January 9th, 2012, 12:45 AM
323jamie
jamie
83 D110 RHD 300tdi Disco conversion

Registry
yeaaa for the info
Old January 9th, 2012, 02:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You can check out my tdi swap thread drooling ago, there is a link in my sig. Also, keithgott.co.uk broke apart a bunch of conversion kits or something, so they have tons of the misc brackets and parts on their website right now.

Old January 9th, 2012, 10:00 PM
johan
johan
2009 Range Rover

Only see this tread now. Don't know where you live in Michigan but you can check out my conversion if you want.
I live in the Grand Rapids area.

I have just put in a TDI engine in my 90 and have gone through all the modifications like radiator, intercooler etc. Everything I had came from a Discovery. Although the original one was not a V8, a lot of things will be the same.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi, v8