V8 Engine Swap - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:11 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

my 93 range has a 4.6 bottom end running the original heads and fuel injection etc and it hauls ass...cruises at 90 all day long..I do have a manual transmission behind it but still..it was great before I switched to manual tranny, raced a buddy in his 2004 disco and it walked him..(well not really walked him but thats what I still give him shat about..LOL..)and that was while it was still auto..probably lose some with the slower shifts needed on a r-380....heads and manifold etc went straight on ..mine was a 4.2 prior..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 1st, 2012, 11:34 AM
neduro
Ned Suesse
1987 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
...cruises at 90 all day long...
Your truck would have a 13 or 14 CUX?
Old October 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

In regards to the blocks of 4.6 vs 4.0.. the later blocks for the 4.6 were indeed pieces of crap..we often have tapping noises coming from the engine which sounds like a lifter bad intermittently..we have found (believe but open to being corrected) that it is due to ovalling of the lifter bores and the lifter "dragging/binding" slightly on downward travel..causing it to slap onto the camshaft...this only seems to happen on the later 4.6 blocks when they changed the castings.. you can take all the pieces from a 4.6 and place them into a 4.0 block..when the 4.0 was taken to 4.6 it was done by.. crank was "stroked" and the 4.6 crank has 4.6 stamped into the front counterbalance.. once stroked that caused the piston to travel higher and lower in the barrel causing it to be too high in the block at full extension so the piston pin height was raised..thereby dropping the top of the piston ...so the swept travel of the piston is now greater than 4.0 giving a 4.6..so the only difference is the crank and pistons..connecting rod are same part number etc etc..but if you want to use an earlier 4.0 block (disco 1) on a later 4.0 or 4.6 disco 2 you have to swap the flywheel sensor mounting plate to use the later style flywheel..grooved vs pins on the sensor igniters..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 8th, 2013, 11:43 AM
molonlabedoc
Vincent
1987 D90

Registry
See if I can get some current information on the use of a 13 or 14cxu. I still have the "old" one Ned placed in the vehicle, anyone have any intel on the hows and whys and especially where to get a new to me 13 or 14 cxu. How important is this, if the truck runs fine (although moderately gutless).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, v8