Utility/Roof Rack Light Wiring - 88 LR 90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 26th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

Utility/Roof Rack Light Wiring - 88 LR 90

Never wired additional lights into a vehicle before and want to be careful not to create any problems given the amps these lights will draw.

Will connect the lights with 10ga multi strand wire.

I assume that the way to do this is to somehow connect the lights to a relay (either prexisting or added) that goes direct to the battery.

I have no foglights on my LR, but I do have the switch on the steering column...I assume that the foglights would normally be relay-connected. Any way to tie into this circuit quickly and easily? (or is this even advisable?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 26th, 2016, 11:46 AM
bish1865
Bruce Bishop
1985 Defender 110

I did that with mine. I ran through the fog like switch.That circuit runs through your headlights ,so they won't come on if your headlights are not on. I put a relay on each of my four lights so not to overload my headlight circuit. I also relayed my headlights. Big difference in brightness. The relays can be sourced through an auto parts store.
Old November 26th, 2016, 12:47 PM
barjout
Marc Bourget
1996/Tdi DEFENDER 110

Do not forget to put a fuse in your circuit close to the batery and before the relay. The positive going to your switch should have a fuse as well. 10 gauge is a good size for additionnal fog/driving lights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 27th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Tom1090
Tom Schuler
1988 Defender 90

Do you know if the wiring harness has the fog light wires running through the bulkhead, and if yes, what colour are they? Would save me some time messing with the steering column and dash....
Old November 27th, 2016, 04:52 PM
barjout
Marc Bourget
1996/Tdi DEFENDER 110

fog light switch

I don't know about the oem fog light switch but I ran my own wire through the firewall right behind the speedometer. there is a big grommet you can use. I installed the relay in the engine compartment and ran all the wires down to the frame into the battery box in a split loom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, ac, ht, rack, roof, roof rack, wiring