Using Yakima Xterra Xtowers for D-90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 7th, 2003, 12:57 AM
RyanB
Ryan Bane
1994 Defender 90 ST

Question Using Yakima Xterra Xtowers for D-90?

Has anyone used the Yakima Xtowers designed for the Xterra roof rack on their external roll cage? The large diameter of the round Xterra rack bars and the D-90 external roll cage look approximately close. Here is a good pic. http://www.rackwarehouse.com/y0109.html

If anyone has used these how did they work and do you have a pic?

Thanks,

Ryan B.
94 Defender 90 ST
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 7th, 2003, 02:23 PM
mhansen
Mike Hansen
97 D-90 SW #2243

Talking

Ryan-

X-tower works great on a SW but to make it work better you have to add the tower extention.

I don't have a photo with me... I commute from Denver to Memphis to work (I am working on the I-55 reconstruction from the Mississippi Bridge to the I-40--I-55 split in Arkansas) I will be in Denver this weekend but I will be in Memphis next. E-mail me for my phone number and I will help you put it together.

Mike.

P.S. I will ride shotgun offroad for beer
Old October 12th, 2003, 09:01 PM
boshea
Brian OShea
1995 Defender 90 ST

XTowers

Hey Ryan -
I also have the Xtowers installed on my bars and they work great. The only caveat is that the xtower does not lock like other Yakima tower units. However, all of my components lock and that works fine. I did not install the risers because I did not need to. I have enough clearance between the cross bar and the top of the vehicle. However, if you have a fiberglass top or SW you will need the extra clearance. I positioned my towers a little more forward on the vehicle and they work great.

I hope that helps-
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:13 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
where to rack with hardtop on ST

I'm going to keep this thread going, as I'm having some rack related problems....

goal: use Yakima Rocket Box, position further back on vehicle
goal: use Yakima for Surfboard(s)
goal: either with/without bikini/hardtop/softtop

so far, I'm coming up short. I can make the second goal with the xterra tower, with extension. I've attached a pic of the yakima with surfboard using the xterra towers. Not ideal, but it won't go flying off the top when crusing along the highway.

To get the rocket box mounted, it needs to be about 6" longer to line up with the mounts, and needs to be further back on the top of the vehicle so it doesn't lean over the hood (looking silly). I bought a track to mount on top of the hardtop that is 42" long, which is about how long the hardtop is before it starts to curve downward toward the front of the vehicle. I was hoping to mount a single mount to the track and have it line up with the one of the xterra mounts, giving myself some room to manuever it back or forth and get the best wind noise reduction, and looks but it's not even close to the right height. Meanwhile, what do I do when I take off the hardtop.... hummmm....

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yakima-2.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	54  

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter
Old October 23rd, 2003, 07:16 PM
GliderKing
Robert Bingham
97 ST D90

Registry
Here's a pic of the track mount height (left) compared to the xterra tower height. It's clearly taller....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yakima-3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	55  

1997 NAS 90 ST
1985 110 RHD 300tdi ROW
@gliderking instagram, twitter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d-90, yakima