using home heating oil in Tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:22 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

using home heating oil in Tdi

Well, at the risk of the authorities jumping on me...

A friend is switching his home heating from oil to gas and will be left with a good amount of oil in the tank. I'm thinking of taking it off his hands to use in my Tdi.

I believe this should work but would like to have someone confirm this from experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Don't know about Rovers specifically but as far as Diesel engines go, when we rent Generators or any type of equipment (tractors, excavators and compressors) we run home heating oil in them without a problem. I am pretty sure it is nearly the same stuff but they just use yellow die instead of red die.
Old October 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Best to mix it 50/50 or so.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 14th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
FWIW... I was told by our oil delivery guy (I have oil heat at home) that it's actually the same as diesel and that they power their delivery trucks with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:20 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

if its anything like the UK there is less tax on heating oil and if your caught useing it theres a big fine and your truck is taken and crushed,once you use it the dye shows for ever more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

when was the last time a cop stuck a stick in your gas tank?
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL well it's not ligit to drive down the road using it but I am sure Arts intent was for when he is off roading, then he will burn the heating oil at which point it is completly legal. The dye does not stay in the tank forever and they don't crush your truck LOL but they do slap you with a fine.
Old October 14th, 2005, 05:59 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Here in Arizona the state sets up "diesel check stations" to make sure your fuel is the right color (road taxes paid). I guess farmers buy a different color diesel for their tractors.
Old October 14th, 2005, 06:43 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

I said IF its the same as the UK.As for the dye once its in your system the only way to clear it is change your tank, fuel lines ect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hippert
LOL well it's not ligit to drive down the road using it but I am sure Arts intent was for when he is off roading, then he will burn the heating oil at which point it is completly legal. The dye does not stay in the tank forever and they don't crush your truck LOL but they do slap you with a fine.

Old October 15th, 2005, 02:10 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Right after hurricane Katrina the federal goverment made it legal to burn off-road diesel. As long as road tax was charged for it to be used on-road. Maybe Art was down south using some of their fuel some time back and still has residue left from its previous use. Seems like a viable explanation. That is why I would dilute its use.
Besides waste not want not. Why let the stuff go to waste? consider it a fuel additive.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:45 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Actually, I do recall being in my 110 and plowing through water to bring supplies to the Coast Guard. Wait...that was in a dream, damn!

Well, there's about 200 gallons lef in the tank so that can go a loooong way.

But seriously, the dye can't be get rid of??? I mean, no way I'd get caught and if so I can always say it was from the previous owner. The web of lies has begun.
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

LOL, Art you could have got the bad gas from some shifty gas station owner in another state. I really don't see how they could pin it on you unless they pulled you over with a full tank of home heating oil and they watched you fill the tank yourself! But what are the chances that they would ever look in the gas tank! I think the heating oil dye lasting forever is sort of a mith thing used to try and scare people to keep them from doing it, I mean how do you use a die to stain a plastic or metal tank?
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:06 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

On the dye: yes, I've seen oil filter housings from home burners get cleaned and there's no residue of dye.

But what about sulfur content? I assume it's higher in home fuel so is this good or bad?
Old October 15th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is normally the same stuff that is sold as diesel. The refiners have no desire to refine multiple light oils.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:02 PM
yellowrover
Mike Holland
'97 AA Yellow D-90 ST

What I don't get is why do they have all these "different" grade diesel fuels when they are all the same just different dyes??? My dad gets farm diesel for the tractors and dozers and that is the same deal as the heating oil, its just a different dye. It seems ridiculous that we let fuel companies do this to us it seems like everyone who deals with anything diesel knows about this but we just sit back and take it...why?? why should we pay more for diesel in our cars or trucks when the diesel we can get for equipment is the same just cheaper and labeled differently. Greedy Bastards........I say screw the authorities and use it all on the road
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:23 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It has nothing to do with the fuel companies. It is done because there are different taxes for different uses of the fuel. The government mandates the dyes to allow tracing of the use of the fuel to ensure proper allocation of the taxes.

The fuel companies could make different fuel grades as the reuqirements for fuel oil are less stringent thas for on road diesel. However, it does not make ecoonomic sense for a refinery to have multiple refinining trains.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:39 PM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrover
What I don't get is why do they have all these "different" grade diesel fuels when they are all the same just different dyes??? My dad gets farm diesel for the tractors and dozers and that is the same deal as the heating oil, its just a different dye. It seems ridiculous that we let fuel companies do this to us it seems like everyone who deals with anything diesel knows about this but we just sit back and take it...why?? why should we pay more for diesel in our cars or trucks when the diesel we can get for equipment is the same just cheaper and labeled differently. Greedy Bastards........I say screw the authorities and use it all on the road
Roads ain't free. If you use the vehicle on the road you should be paying fuel taxes. The price difference isn't determined by the oil companies. Now if your truck were only going to be a wheeling truck then I'd say go ahead and use the farm deisel.

When we fuel our boat at the marina we make sure to keep all our receipts. The road taxes are refundable if you use it for off-highway purposes.
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:00 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I agree, you need a tax on road fuel to support the infrastructure. I'm considering what I am because it's free - otherwise the company that removes the oil tank gets it for free!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
tdi