used winch now engine runs weird - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2006, 08:44 AM
cpk
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110

used winch now engine runs weird

I've got a 93 D110 with the factory winch. Haven't used the winch much though. Here was the previous condition. Engine idled at 750-800 RPM's. My check engine light was on, but it's been on for a long time and does effect anything (Code 68 shows up). I started the truck and I go to use the winch. I move the toggle to release cable and it would click and nothing happened. I would move the toggle to pull cable in and it would pull it but was pretty tight already. I bump the toggle back and forth and the truck dies. I open the door and the bells sound weird like a low battery. I tried to start it and nothing. I waited about 1 minute and tried again and it was turning like a sort of low battery charge. I waited another minute and and it started fine, but idles at 1000-1100 RPM's now, my brake light is on, and my check engine light is off. When I bump the toggle on the winch the engine wants to die. What do you think. Would like mto put it back to "previous condition"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2006, 09:23 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I would unhook the winch from the battery first and see if it clears up the problem. might be a faulty solnoid in the winch that is shorting stuff out
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:22 AM
cpk
Corey K-nig
1993 NAS Defender 110

Can you tell me where the selonoid is typically located?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

The solenoids are usually at the winch or where the winch controller plugs in.

Hearing your story I think you have one of these problems, all of which should be checked:
1 - As previously suggested a solenoid may be sticking and dragging the motor down
2 - The battery may have too much internal resistance and you may have fried it (i.e. it's old)
3 - One or more of the ground cables between engine, battery, chassis, and winch may have corroded or burnt
4 - One or more positive power cables in the same area suffered the same fate
5 - As a result of operating with a weak battery the winch operation damaged the alternator, which is now impairing the running of the vehicle.

I am virtually certain you will find the answer to be one of the above. It may be time consuming to check all the ground and heavy power connections but I can assure you it's a frequent source of all manner of problems as these trucks age. A tip - we spray those connections heavily with clear WaxOyl and/or paint with dielectric grease once we clean them.
Old March 4th, 2006, 05:14 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Should you use dielectric grease before assembly or after?
Old March 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
robisonservice
John Robison
2008 Supercharged Range Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuffer
Should you use dielectric grease before assembly or after?
You clean an electrical connector, put dielectric grease on it, and plug it together. With heavy terminals you clean them, bolt together, and spray with clear waxoyl
Old March 5th, 2006, 04:03 AM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

I'm not sure, but it sounds like the winch caused power to be lost to the computer, which forgot all its settings (thus the Check Engine light went off). You'll need to dirve it a bit until the computer re-learns its settings, then the idle should go back to normal. 'sounds like the battery is in need of replacement as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine, winch