Used to start rough, now not at all! Help. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Used to start rough, now not at all! Help.

Alright folks. I need some help. My truck is not starting. I have had a hard time before but this time its bad.

Here is what is going on. I have had my truck in the garage (which is more of a carport) and it has been raining buckets for a couple of weeks here in Dallas. I went to start it tonight and it would crank but not turn on. It would occassionally try and fire but sputter and kick and nothing, it even sometimes will try and fire and then almost shut down for a second. I tried and tried but it simply would not get there tonight. This has happened before and if I crank at it long enough, and even jump my truck after I kill my battery, it finally kicks on but i have to basically use the starter to continue to coax the motor for a bit. I then will take the truck down the block and at lower RPMs the truck runs rough for a bit. After a while this all clears up and it is fine....... until I leave it for two weeks of rainy weather. As of now though I cannot even get it to start at all so I am still on square one. I noticed other posts from users that mention any moisture in the D cap and plug wires can have an impact but I have no idea if this would cause it to run rough for a bit after it starts. I also have no idea if my d cap has any moisture in it.

Any help would be much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 12:16 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It could. Replace the cap and see if it helps it.
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

I giver a try

I will give that a shot. I am finding i ironic that this is happening after it has sat in wet weather for a bit. I could be barking up the completely wrong three though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Check all of your plug/coil wires for wear and splits, pull the ends and apply dielectric grease and reseat them properly, open the cap and spray it with WD-40 wipe it out and reassemble. Try starting again in low light with someone else turning the key and look for your spark jumping.
Old October 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

I chased down a very similar issue and after going down the path of dist cap, coil, wires, distributor etc, it turned out I had a bad ignition module. Replaced that and have never had the issue once in over a year.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I bet that it runs rough until the ignition system (plugs, wires, coil,...) warms up enough to get rid of the condensation. Now whatever is split or has a crack or whatever is bad enough to let in enough moisture that it won't start at all.

I would replace cap rotor and wires first. Clean and tighten connections to the coil. Ignition module would be next on my list.
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you replace the rotor, use pliars or a chisel to break it off if it does not pull off easily. If you pull too hard it screws up the distributor. When you reinstall the rotor, put antiseize or oil under it so you can remove it again if need be.
Old October 16th, 2009, 03:09 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Thanks a ton

I want to thank you all for the advice I a by no means a mechaniic by training but I am want to be in spirit so this is all helpfull. I will do some work it today
Old October 16th, 2009, 10:43 PM
RickM
Rick Mabus
95 D-90 ST

Dude. You guys have all made my day. Took off the d-cap. Took a paint gun blow dryer thing to it. Put it back together on a tired almost dead battery it fired up and the family and I had a great trip in 65 degree weather to dinner. You all rock. Now one small problem I am having is that I think I killed my Ford f 250 trying to jump my d-90. Now my ford wont start!!

Follow-up Post:

Forgot to ask. Is it important to replace a d-cap over time that is doing what mine is doing? I noticed what looked like a fair amount of corrosion on it. I am worried about the chance that I drive through water and my truck will die.
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:33 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
yeah, I would replace the d cap,rotor, plugs/wires/- basic tune-up if it hasnt been done in a wile.
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Hey guys, I am running into this problem now. I had a problem with no start in the rain about 2 months ago. I replaced the distributor cap, rotor, and plugs/wires and the car ran great even in the rain. Last week the car started running really rough under 2000 rpm and would just shut down at idle. Above 2000 rpm, everything was fine. The car has sat for the last 5 days as I was out of town. Now I am getting the exact same symptons as Rick. Car wants to start, its cranking and almost firing but then nothing.

Car just had 60k service, d-cap, rotor, and plugs and wires replaced, and braided oil cooler lines installed. Sounds like it might be a faulty ignition module but would this also account for the really rough idle below 2000 rpm?
Old December 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
check fuel relay and fuel filter.
Old December 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
could these be responsible for the drop in fuel pressure? I really hope this has nothign to do with my fuel pump cause that gets pricey.
Old December 17th, 2009, 04:00 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
clogged filter = no gas

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start