Defender Source Forum banner

Used or rebuilt 200 TDI?

Tags
tdi
3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Sandy Landy 
#1 · (Edited)
I have posted in the wanted section about getting a 200 TDI engine and received 5 or 6 offers from other members all between $2000 and $3500 depending on condition. Land Rover Import offers rebuilt ones for about $4000 shipped. There are other vendors as well that fall in that range. There is one in particular I have been tempted by lately that has one on eBay advertised at $5000 but I strongly suspect it could be had for much less in an outside eBay deal. It already has a new timing belt, head gasket, and few other preventive things done while being advertised as only having 75,000 miles.

So, to get to the point, there is an engine in the for sale section here for $2000 that "needs a head gasket and has a bad turbo" which has my interest as I could send it to a rebuilder and in theory be ahead of the game so to speak. Does anyone know of a well known reliable rebuilder I could ship this or one like it to and be confident it would be done right? Also, what would the cost be? I really don't want to use a shop that doesn't have good experience with this engine. This would be my first 200 TDI to be rebuilt but I have had enough bad experiences with engine builders that I have no interest in sending to someone that doesn't know this specific engine. I'd prefer to do it myself but I just don't have the time. I have had engines rebuilt that I ended up redoing myself out of necessity and don't want to do that again.

So, the final question is whether to buy and rebuild or buy (in this instance) the 75,000 miles one with new timing belt and head gasket installed. At 75,000 miles I doubt it would get enough action in my lifetime to ever need replacement.

See less See more
#5 ·
One idea I had back when I was pondering my swap was to have it built in the U.K. I didn't go that route because I decided for the same money or less I would like to be involved in the process and see the sausage being made in person. But if you think about how cheap they can source a rebuildable lump and how many more experienced shops there are to choose from it still seems like a decent idea to me.

There's a guy here, wanttobewheeling, that took this suggestion. He has a stellar end product IMO and was up and running in a very short period of time.

#7 ·
Only you can decide based on the obvious:
Spend less and possibly have future issues for a TDI of unknown reliability used drop it in.
This is risky because in the future it could cost more to fix broken stuff like timing belt - remove and rebuild engine.

Put in a freshly rebuilt engine - more expensive, but if done properly more reliable. Less risk more money.

So the less you spend the more risk you take on and the more you spend the less risk you take one.

Is this a budget decision?

Reactions: terryjm1
#8 ·
cheap recon engines means they didn't do all the things needed.
Buying a uk engine, means: uk seller needs to earn a bit, shippings cost, US seller needs to earn a bit......what is left to do a proper job....

Go to overhaul shop that aprreciates normal engines and get everything done, engine, fuel pump,turbo, the lot.

Than you have a very fine engines for the next 200.000 miles without any trouble, low fuel consumption and performance.

You don't want to spent that kind of money? that you will not drive a proper landrover.

#10 ·
sorry to hear your bad experiences, popular vehicles bring undescent individuals unfortanatly.

Other people who want something from the EU can contact me, i source and ship a lot of defenders for customers the proper way.
Good network to have a defender properly inspected before buying, be aware a lot of scrappers on the market!

#11 · (Edited)
Why not buy from Turner? If you're going to spend actual money on a reconditioned engine, why not buy from a place with a good reputation?

That said, if you're going to buy a new/rebuilt engine, why not get a 300tdi? Why go for a unit that's got unobtanium heads?

Heck, Turner is now selling complete NTO 2.2 Pumas. Not stripped engines...completes.

#12 ·
Turner? And some other thoughts.

Do you have a web address for Turner?

On why a 200TDI, it is a more direct and easy install in my Landy, motor mounts in the right places and such. On the heads being hard to get, I placed the opening eBay bid on a used 200TDI head from a seller in the UK with great feedback that has sold a lot of used Land Rover parts. I didn't think I would get it but was the sole bidder, now I have a spare head ($250 shipped) but not yet an engine I will be keeping it as a spare for... Lol.

On Land Rover Import, aside from the customs fees, were you satisfied with the engine he supplied? He told me I would have to pay the customs fees if I purchased from him.

Thanks for all the questions and comments.

#13 ·
More thoughts...

I'll condense my original questions a bit.

1. Know of any good and experienced 200 TDI engine rebuilders in the US that I could send an engine to?

2. If I could get a good running 75,000 mile engine with a new timing belt kit installed (assuming I can confirm) is there a good reason to not just do that? I can't imagine in my lifetime it would ever wear out as often as I would drive it.

Budget... Good question. I guess I just don't want to spend more than needed to get what I need. In my experience with non Land Rovers, a low mileage factory engine is a great option. I have rebuilt many engines over the years and aside from the satisfaction of doing it myself, I haven't really felt any better off with a rebuilt engine over a good used low mileage factory engine. I'm good paying to get an engine rebuilt but want to be sure it is done well.

I'm pretty new to Land Rovers. Again, thanks for all the thoughts and insights. I am learning a lot.

#14 ·
I know it's not what you asked... but I have been very happy with my OM617 swap. Dropped-in and bolted up in a weekend once all the parts were on hand... and if it dies tomorrow I'll only be out my own labor and the net $300 I spent on the engine. The kit parts (which cost less than a whole 'rebuilt' 200tdi) will live on.

#15 ·
Terry I would rebuild. The parts for the 200TDI are a bit more scarce than the 300TDI but uts way cheaper to rebuild any of the two TDIs. Parts for both are available and relatively cheap.

The only thing you might have to spend extra cash on is if you have to re-bore the engine and go with bigger pistons which might be the case.

If you rebuild, you can easily get another 20 years out of your landy if its treated as a defender...ie. regular maintenance and not abused.

Reactions: terryjm1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.