Urgent Trailer Wiring Help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2014, 12:59 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Urgent Trailer Wiring Help

Hey Guys,

I'm leaving on a trip 4am tomorrow with a Uhaul trailer in tow (atleast I'd like to be). First time I've used my tow package... I picked it up today, and the guy tested the indicators and brake lights and said it all looked fine.

Later on my left rear d90 indicator goes out (turns out to be a loose connection on the bulb), but now I have reconnected the trailer, the trailer lights aren't playing nice.

- Only left trailer brake light comes on
- When I indicate left or right no trailer lights come on
- When I indicate left with my foot on the brake, the trailer brake flashes intermittently.

Double checked all the connections to trailer (4-pin). D90 brake and indicators are all working as expected.

Any suggestions of what I should look at?

Thx,
-Brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2014, 01:07 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Do you have one of the conversion boxes plugged in near your right brake light (underneath), and that's what your trailer lights pigtail runs from? If so maybe that connection is loose...It's black rubber, about the diameter of a quarter and an inch long...It plugs into the factory wiring harness for the trailer lights. Maybe a start...
Old August 1st, 2014, 01:48 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonnyAK View Post
Do you have one of the conversion boxes plugged in near your right brake light (underneath), and that's what your trailer lights pigtail runs from? If so maybe that connection is loose...It's black rubber, about the diameter of a quarter and an inch long...It plugs into the factory wiring harness for the trailer lights. Maybe a start...
yeah - has a rubber grommit around the joint. opened it up - was pretty tight and re-connected. didn't appear out of the ordinary. no change - thanks for the idea though. wish i had my multimeter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2014, 02:18 AM
brettm
Brett
97 D90-SW, Arles +4.6

Confirmed it's not the Landie - must be a problem with the trailer. I wired a bulb across each output of the trailer socket coming out the Landie - and each pin worked as expected. Maybe Uhaul uses Lucas Electric on their trailers too....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
wiring