Urgent Help Needed with 300Tdi - Page 6 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 25th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

[/QUOTE] We took the advice of you guys here and decided to go to Napa to see if they had a belt that would work. We lucked out and the Napa was large, and the staff was very knowledgeable. They found a 6 rib belt of the exact length, whereas the factory belt was 7 rib. [/QUOTE]

Help us TDI owners out here, what is the NAPA part # of that belt? Could come in very handy in a pinch !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2011, 09:55 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
When we popped the hood, we noticed that the cooling fan was not running… but the radiator was too hot to touch, as were both the top and bottom hoses. So we knew that we had coolant flowing, and that the radiator wasn't blocked. So, we figured some of you were right and that the temperature switch for the fan wasn't working right.
Are you 100% sure the rad isn't partially clogged up with block sealer or what ever was dumped in there initially?
My 90 200tdi used to have temp creeping up on a motorway run problems, the temperature would creep up on uphill sections, wouldn't drop when the power was eased off on flat/downhill sections and the only work round was to let the engine tick over at idle speeds for 10 minutes. The rad was old and although flow was good scale on the internal tubes prevented proper transfer of heat. Various rad flush potions were poured in to no effect. I was running a standard viscous fan. I've heard that any fan does little to add to cooling at over 30 mph. When the fan broke off the viscous coupling shaft on my 110 ( luckily with no rad damage) a while ago I ran with no fan and no real difference to water temperature for a week until I fitted a new one.
The final solution for the 90 was a new radiator - all the hot running problems disappeared when the new radiator was fitted.
The bottom hose should be warm to the touch if the rad is shedding all the heat it is meant to.
Just something to bear in mind before you head out into the wilds of Alaska.

Following the trip with great interest at the moment from Toronto, later next month from Vancouver.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:13 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

I think you should get back to the viscous fan setup.
Take it from someone who has been driving a Tdi
daily for the 6 past years in hot weather all year round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 26th, 2011, 01:33 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
I think you should get back to the viscous fan setup.
Take it from someone who has been driving a Tdi
daily for the 6 past years in hot weather all year round.
Yes I'll second that - 3 summer trips to Morocco - viscous fan and no cooling problems, you could really hear it when the fan did cut in though, usually after a short stop with the engine off - real big roar as it shifted a lot of air for a short while to clear the built up heat and that was in temperatures into the +40°c bracket. Standard rad did just fine.
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:22 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

I dont think he can run a viscous unit because his rad is pushed back by a larger intercooler.

I know there are nay sayers but I run an electric taurus fan with a meticulously wired setup and I have no cooling issues, I do have a 4 core radiator. Even on the last trip to Baja in 110 degree heat, heavy truck, up hill, on the freeway, etc.... no problem. It has to be done right with a powerful fan.
Old July 26th, 2011, 04:44 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user
...with a meticulously wired setup...
Exactly. I think his truck is missing that detail. The viscous operated fan will be more reliable for his trip imo.
Old July 27th, 2011, 08:04 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
I dont think he can run a viscous unit because his rad is pushed back by a larger intercooler.

There should be no need to move the radiator back to fit a larger intercooler, even with AC. Electric fans have no place in a good expedition vehicle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old July 27th, 2011, 09:46 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
There should be no need to move the radiator back to fit a larger intercooler, even with AC. Electric fans have no place in a good expedition vehicle.

He's got to run with the truck the way it is for now.
All I was saying was if he rad was top notch there shouldn't be a need for a fan while motoring along, the ram air effect should produce enough flow through the radiator. Tdi's produce next to no heat at tick over and any heat from fast driving should be easily dealt with by a good rad/fan set up within a minute or two of ticking over at a stand still.

------ Follow up post added July 27th, 2011 02:54 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by D90user View Post
I I do have a 4 core radiator.
The standard rad is 3 cores? Did you notice much difference when you switched to the 4 core, Did you use the standard ends and get it re-cored or was it a totally custom fabrication? It's something I was contemplating for my 110 expedition truck/daily driver.
Old July 27th, 2011, 12:48 PM
16kpsi
Tony Lawson
1986 D110 ex-200tdi to be 6BT

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyddog11 View Post
Electric fans have no place in a good expedition vehicle.
well then it's a good thing Steve didn't take his rig all through South America and over the Ande's. Oh, wait.....
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Hey everyone... we are nearing Civilization in Bellingham, WA on the ferry, so I thought I would post up.

First off about the fan... obviously a contentious issue to be sure. I don't have room in this truck for the viscous fan, so any discussion is purely hypothetical. I really liked Steve's Taurus fan.

The radiator has been suspect since this all started. We have several days in Colorado that I may use to pull the rad and get it re-worked to see how much crap is in it. I agree that a large amount of that stop-leak crap is probably in there. We have yet to find the original leak it was meant to stop, maybe it was in the radiator.

All in all, the electric fan is staying, but with a new temp sensor that has a lower temp before turning on, and an off/auto/on type switch in the dash to control what it's doing.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:26 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

how about some pics of the trip? good luck, glad all is well now.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:39 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Do you guys need garage space in Colorado? I have room if you need it. There's also Fort Carson down the street and they have a very nice auto craft shop with lifts and everything. I'll be in town through Thursday and then I'm going to pack the truck and head for the mountains, maybe the LRNR.
Old July 30th, 2011, 10:40 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
how about some pics of the trip? good luck, glad all is well now.
We will later... still on cell service internet on the ferry. We are headed to the National Rally now via Washington, Idaho, and Utah.
Old July 31st, 2011, 07:23 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16kpsi View Post
well then it's a good thing Steve didn't take his rig all through South America and over the Ande's. Oh, wait.....
Just my opinion after having dealt with quite a few customers rigs and untold ridiculous issues that have resulted from the use of same.

...and of course there are always the exceptions ......

No insult intended to Doc or his rig and I hope the trip works out well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

Old July 31st, 2011, 01:31 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Made it home from Alaska, got to Idaho on the way to the National Rally, and the water pump just grenaded.

F... M.... L.....

------ Follow up post added July 31st, 2011 12:13 PM ------

OK, time for a new question.

The belt tensioner... the part number is different from the V8 tensioner, but they appear to be the same.

Does anyone know if they are in fact interchangeable, or is there something different about them (such as the tension)?
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:28 AM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

something makes me think they tension in opposite directions. I'm not fully with it yet though. I do know that I have one if you need it and can shoot it out there in a hurry. I just retired my RRC so I have a complete spare motor (300) for the picking.
The aftermarket pumps available now seem to be pretty much junk.

Old August 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
got to Idaho on the way to the National Rally, and the water pump just grenaded.
Where in ID? Got a garage with air near Moscow, ID if needed.
Old August 1st, 2011, 12:18 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
We are just outside Boise at Josh's cousin's house. We lucked out that he is a mechanic, so we are covered. But thanks anyway!

Rovers North had all the parts we needed, overnighting a water pump and tensioner will not be cheap I am sure.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 11:59 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Just got the box from Rovers North... new water pump and tensioner going on now.

------ Follow up post added August 2nd, 2011 10:49 AM ------

Well... new tensioner, belts, and water pump are on. Time to get cleaned up and press to Utah, and then the Rally. We may be a day late, but we should be there!
Old August 2nd, 2011, 09:43 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
God speed!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi