Urgent Help Needed with 300Tdi - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2011, 05:50 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Well, it's almost 3 AM and the truck is back together. We are waiting until morning before we try and start it...

One question came up... How critical is checking the valve clearances?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2011, 06:26 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

It'll run with slack valves, but just sound crap, and be a bit down on performance. If it's too slack, the calve stem caps can fall off and fall inside the sump... not good.

But for the 10 minutes it'll take to check them, it would be stupid not to.

Going back from a previous thread where my name was mentioned, I've had 300 heads skimmed before, and they've worked perfectly afterwards.

A friend of mine has had a Td5 head done, and the workshop manual states catagorically that it can't be done.... (and his did work afterwards!)
Old July 20th, 2011, 09:18 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
How critical is checking the valve clearances?
Adjusting valves will only take 10 to 20 minutes and keep you on the safe side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2011, 09:19 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
It'll run with slack valves, but just sound crap, and be a bit down on performance. If it's too slack, the calve stem caps can fall off and fall inside the sump... not good.

But for the 10 minutes it'll take to check them, it would be stupid not to.

Going back from a previous thread where my name was mentioned, I've had 300 heads skimmed before, and they've worked perfectly afterwards.

A friend of mine has had a Td5 head done, and the workshop manual states catagorically that it can't be done.... (and his did work afterwards!)
I agree, definitely set the valve lash.

I suspect that LR is covering their ass on the head issue because of the possibility of too much or repeated surfacing.
Old July 20th, 2011, 10:33 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

"Ship's Mechanical in Portland has some on the shelf, but doesn't have the time to overnight one".

Nice to know they were so helpful, I'll be sure to mark them off my people to do business with list!
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:43 PM
jayz
Jason Zolezzi
85 200tdi 110

Auto Europa In San Francisco should have the glow plug for you. 415 882 9970. He is at 6 th and Natoma right when you come off 280 onto 6th St. He has lots of parts there. Good luck. PM me if you need any help, I know of one other place in SF if he can't help
Old July 20th, 2011, 12:55 PM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by discotdi View Post
"Ship's Mechanical in Portland has some on the shelf, but doesn't have the time to overnight one".

Nice to know they were so helpful, I'll be sure to mark them off my people to do business with list!
That's a bit harsh. Ship's is a small family shop, last I was there they've only two employees -- owner and son. They are a busy shop, and the specifics of the response was more like "don't have time to get one and get it shipped by the overnight deadline". Neill's comment was made in the middle of scrambling for parts, I don't think he intended it as a complaint.

The owner, Doug Shipman, is along time supporter of the LR community, He's a rather direct guy, he won't offer up false hope, but he's helped out many LR owners in need. He also served as president of the Pacific Coast Rover Club for years, organized and ran an annual off road challenge for years, donates time to organize and participate in trail maintenance to help the 4x4 community image, etc., etc.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old July 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Tony, That's great I have heard lots of good things about him too. I don't know the whole story for sure. but if it were me, I would have gotten the glow plug to the guy. Take 20 minutes out of your day to help a Rover guy in need to make a trip of a lifetime. If he was just trying to get home then another days wait no big deal. But he is trying to make it to AK on a schedule that is already 3 days behind. Seems simple to me, 1 glow plug, 1 padded envelope, one Fedex pick up done. just my 2 cents and I don't want to corrupt the thread.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

X2.

Dougs a stand up guy always willing to help. I'm sure he had a good reason for not being able to do so.

With the exception of Steve I don't see anyone on here jumping out of their seats to fedex one to him. I was going to order some spares by never did. If I had I would have sent one right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888

That's a bit harsh. Ship's is a small family shop, last I was there they've only two employees -- owner and son. They are a busy shop, and the specifics of the response was more like "don't have time to get one and get it shipped by the overnight deadline". Neill's comment was made in the middle of scrambling for parts, I don't think he intended it as a complaint.

The owner, Doug Shipman, is along time supporter of the LR community, He's a rather direct guy, he won't offer up false hope, but he's helped out many LR owners in need. He also served as president of the Pacific Coast Rover Club for years, organized and ran an annual off road challenge for years, donates time to organize and participate in trail maintenance to help the 4x4 community image, etc., etc.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:12 PM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

Neil and Josh came by yesterday afternoon and grabbed a glow plug.
I hope the skim on the head worked ok and he is on the road!
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Great!

I can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip.
Old July 20th, 2011, 02:53 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Gents,

Got up again this morning, did the valve adjustment which was an excellent idea to not only do it, but wait until we were not in a sleep deprived delirium. Changed the oil to get rid of the crap from the head gasket change, and started her up.

Purred like a kitten. Driving around for a bit seems to show it's all fixed.

We are about to push to Oregon to get back on track.

Just a few other things... I certainly was NOT complaining about Ship's Mechanical by any means.

Steve has been a godsend.... and his garage has more rover crap in it than mine which is amazing. The glow plug fit perfectly!

THANK YOU to everyone for your help. Hopefully our next post is from Corvallis Oregon!!!
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:29 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Awesome.

http://youtu.be/hv_TPW01-2k
Old July 20th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
hurray! I'm now emotionally involved in your trip. I've always wanted to see Alaska!

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old July 21st, 2011, 12:44 AM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

What a story, and what a board. I've checked back each day to see how the engine would fare. Be sure to post some pics of the trip. Good luck.
Old July 21st, 2011, 01:23 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Are you driving though Portland?
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:20 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Well everyone, I am fulfilling my hope that my next post would be from Corvallis. I am sitting at my parent's place with Josh drinking beer heavily.

Why do you ask? I snapped the g** d*** brand new serpentine belt I just put on 24 hours ago.

I actually had to be towed the last ~20 miles to Corvallis by Josh's 90.

This is making me wonder if the truck is trying to tell me something. I have been extremely fortunate that I have now broken down in 2 very good locations, with garages and "stay as long as you need" privileges.

Regardless, I now have a new problem (and I know this is sounding like a broken record)... I need to find the belt to a 300Tdi in Oregon. Tomorrow morning I am going to call some auto parts places and see what I can do with the generic part number (7PK1580).

I will be very honest, our ferry trip is in serious jeopardy.
Old July 21st, 2011, 04:54 AM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

You can buy generics, Gates or Dayco or any other good brand. Check your pulleys, make sure none is out of line and check also pulley tensioner and bearings. This is all easy work. I think the truck is telling you "fix me good before we go up north".
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:03 AM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I was able to get that belt from my local NAPA, though it took them a day to get it in. I thought it strange that I could have gotten it from RN for a lot less $$.
Old July 21st, 2011, 07:43 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Sorry to hear this. So these are non-interference engines then? No damage can result from losing the timing belt?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, tdi