Urban Offroad Rack- Anyone have one? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Urban Offroad Rack- Anyone have one?

Thinking of buying an Urban Offroad Rack.
Anyone had any experience with the company?

Thanks,
D Jarrett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Doug Crowther
Doug Crowther
94SW,4.6HSE,93LWB,83 110

I had a basket that I bought from a frequent board member here, so I bought the rear ladder, backing plates and cross bars from Urban. It fit together nicely. He also included a stainless hardware kit. The welds on the Urban stuff looked better than those on my SD basket.No problems and we shipped from left to right coast-truck freight.
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Frankie Carbone
Heath Hollenbeck
'97 D90 #535, '03 DiscoII

I have one. Derek has been going through a few medical issues so he might be a little slower in responding. His product is almost identical to SD but better. I could take some pictures of the rack if you would like??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2007, 10:05 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The rack appears to have several key differences, its uses fish mouthed butt welts instead of the pinched welds on the SD rack which is probably an advantage. The bends though dont exactly replicate the SD rack (especially on the ladder) so I consider it aestheically inferior. Ultimately, if it fits properly and works then its a good rack I guess, and anything is better than the awful square tube stuff that RN sells. Specifically, they have a terrible looking rear-ladder thing.
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:50 AM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I did the research, and I could really find little recognizable difference between the SD rack and the UO rack.

I ordered mine last night. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Dendy (DJ)
Old September 25th, 2007, 03:48 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

What options did you get on it? Did you get the jerry can holder and high-lift jack mount? I would like to see the before and after pictures...

My SW currently has the RN rack on it, and I would really prefer to put the SD or UO rack on it.

Scott

Old September 25th, 2007, 04:37 PM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Scott,
If you order one, I might order one too. You think he'd do a deal on two? Maybe we could save on shipping?

97 D90 SW
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:10 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You'll definitely save on shipping, the rack is going to be well under the dimensional weight. If he charges twice as much youre definitely getting screwed.
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:14 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyOval
Scott,
If you order one, I might order one too. You think he'd do a deal on two? Maybe we could save on shipping?
Shawn, which truck are you going to put it on?

I am sure that we could get a deal... He usually offers free shipping to a commerial address, which I have so we are in luck.

Scott

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
You'll definitely save on shipping, the rack is going to be well under the dimensional weight. If he charges twice as much youre definitely getting screwed.
Jim,

How is Russia? Did you bring the POE or the TDI?

Old September 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Jim,

How is Russia? Did you bring the POE or the TDI?
Hey Scott - I sent the ex-POE v8 truck. I'll let you know how much petrol is. I just got my visa today, the Russians sat on it for almost 2 months - I'll be there Friday. There will be Russian Rover pix here as soon as I can get my hands on my truck!
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:43 PM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

I purchased Urban's repo about 3 months ago. Shipped from CA to TN and arrived in perfect condition. The welds are clean and the powdercoat finsh is flawless. I too got the SS hardware and the Hi-lift mount (haven't had time to mount the high-lift). Took about 2 hours to mount everything. Yes there are some differences between the SD and Urban rack, however they are so nominal I doubt most could tell. Other than the basket radius and slight variation on the ladder, the only thing that cought my attention was the front cross-members, which have a slightly different bend as well.

All in all I give it a 10 and I would buy again. I will try to post some pics later this week.

Good Luck
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I actually got a little bit of a deal as he had a 10 inch basket that he had made for someone and they backed out on it. (normally 10inch high baskets are on the 110, but this was a special order that went south).
The normal basket height is 8 inches.

I got a jerry can holder that he is making as a seperate clamp on unit that can go in the front or rear portion of the rack.
I am also getting a diamond plate (removable) floor. Both rear ladders, a cargo net, and rear light tabs.

He is running a special on e-bay right now that is free shipping to a commercial address.

I am excited.

DJ
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:36 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
So, here is the problem I am having with ordering this rack: It isn't exactly the same as the Safety Devices rack that I lust over everytime I see one on a truck on ebay. I know that "most" people can't tell the difference, but I can. They look completely different to me. I just don't understand why Derek didn't make an exact copy for us. It's hard to beat the original look, but if you are going to go through the trouble, make it exact. I guess I am just too particular about my truck, but I love the look of that SD rack.

97 D90 SW
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:42 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

You may want to check with Mike at ECR. At one point, he said he would be in production with these racks this summer. I doubt that's the case or we would have heard something by now. I know they just moved their shop but maybe he's getting ready to gear up for the racks.
Old September 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Yeah, I checked with them earlier this week. They said they don't have time to do any right now except for the ones they are doing for customer vehicles. Bummer.

97 D90 SW
Old September 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Shawn - dont feel bad about being particular about the look. To my eye they are competely different - my first reaction was "ugly knock-off." I don't want to knock anyone that ordered it for their truck, but I would absolutely wait for a genuine one.

To me, its akin to the difference between a "Protection and Performance" cage and a real SD one - the SD conforms much better and looks more well-thought-out.
Old September 26th, 2007, 05:57 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

Well, the UO rack looks so close to me, ... that it really came down to investment.
I hear awful feed back on the elemental attacks on the SD rack, ... in otherwords, ... they RUST.

I hear nothing but tremendous feedback on the performance of the UO rack, the welds, that fact that he can customize it, and the fact that he put a removable diamond plate floor on it for me as well.

Pair that with the fact that the SD is almost hens teeth to find.

That is why I went with this rack.
And I didn't shuck out $2700 before doing the research.

That's all I'm sayin'

DJ
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:16 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Here is what I ended up doing to get a rack for my D90. I stumbled into a Basket for almost free, but needed the rest of the parts. The original Front bracketes and cross bars are still available from LR, so I bought those as I like the LR cross bars better than UO's. For the rear I bought a UO rear ladder assmebly. I will be picking it up this weekend and then I can put all the parts together and have great rack that is 2/3 original and 1/3 aftermarket. Most people will never notice the difference in the UO rear ladder assembly.
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:23 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Okay, now there is an idea. Did you get the crossbars recently (where and what part numbers)? I have the feet from my oem Thule style rack that mounts to the rollcage, so I have thought about re-using them, but I like the bends on the oem crossbars. I need to know where to get them. Then, I'll just need the basket.

97 D90 SW
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:30 AM
PCRover
Gary Young
'94 90ST -> SW

Here are the part numbers I was given, and I received the correct pieces from these numbers. Got them last week. Shop around for pricing, it can vary a lot depending on the dealer.

4ea LRNA90FSRR05 (Individual Feet)
1ea LRNA90FSRR06 (Crossbar Pair)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, rack