Upgrading the Alternator wire on my 300tdi - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 14th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Upgrading the Alternator wire on my 300tdi

My P-gaskets needs replacing so while its all apart I was going to replace my old 65A alternator with a 100A alternator I purchased some time ago. I've been told to upgrade the thickest wire leading to the alternator to at least a 8 Gauge. I'm not that familiar with the engine harness layout and I know very little about wiring in general so before I head over to West Marine for cable I thought I'd post up here first.

My brown (thickest cable on alternator) goes counter clockwise around engine (on top) connects with a whole bunch of various things before it connects to the starter. Does this sound correct? Looks like I would need about 5 feet of wire. Because this wire lays on top of the engine it has a heat shield wrap. If I can't reuse the existing one what would you use? I have a bunch of fiberglass mesh hose meant for this stuff but I thought I'd get some heat shield tape on it first What brand of heat shield tape do you recommend?

Is there any other wire I should upgrade while I'm in there? How about the wire from the starter to the battery? Also, Ancor (my preferred choice) doesn't have brown cable, only black, red, green, red, white and yellow. If I wanted the correct color what would it be?
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2015, 10:45 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
If you have time to go mail order, try here for your wiring and connectors: Marine Grade Wire, AWG Tinned Copper Boat Cables Made in USA Genuinedealz.com Grumpy Bill's go to place. I'm sold on them as well. There is a WM walking distance from my slip that I support while kicking myself for not being better prepared b/c of their absurd prices.
Old September 14th, 2015, 10:58 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The main power wire goes from the alternator to the starter solenoid where the main lead from the battery connects. I would use 4 gauge welding wire.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:14 AM
tpond
Toby Pond

Yes Carl, the brown wire is the one that you are upgrading. I did it on my truck, so you are welcome to come check it out. I took apart the old harness, and remade it with the larger wire. I would also be happy to help you do it if you would like a hand.
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Subscribed...
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I will likely take you up on that, Toby. what heat shield products did you use? Did you also upgrade the starter to battery wire?
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I will order from them if I have time to wait for it to arrive. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
If you have time to go mail order, try here for your wiring and connectors: Marine Grade Wire, AWG Tinned Copper Boat Cables Made in USA Genuinedealz.com Grumpy Bill's go to place. I'm sold on them as well. There is a WM walking distance from my slip that I support while kicking myself for not being better prepared b/c of their absurd prices.
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

What did you use for heat shield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The main power wire goes from the alternator to the starter solenoid where the main lead from the battery connects. I would use 4 gauge welding wire.
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM
D90user
steve
109/110 ambulance-55 series I

IIRC brown is the correct color. But someone should check a manual if you want to be sure.
Red is universal for hot wire though!

I would think 6 gauge should be more than enough.
opinions vary but I'm a big fan of crimp and solder.
Old September 14th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
What did you use for heat shield?
For the wire? It should not need a heat shield as it is nowhere near the exhaust. The insulation of the cable should be rated for engine temperature.

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:14 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
To be clear there is no need to modify/hack into anything on the main harness. Simply add a heavy gauge wire as John is suggesting from the charge post on the alternator back to the positive post on the starter.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 14th, 2015, 12:29 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm confused. I thought the idea was to replace the brown wire, not add an additional wire?

Is there exposed circuitry on the engine block? While trying to measure the brown wire I almost welded my tape measure to my engine block. Yes, I should always disconnect the battery. Need to get my OJOP connectors on there so it's not such a hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
To be clear there is no need to modify/hack into anything on the main harness. Simply add a heavy gauge wire as John is suggesting from the charge post on the alternator back to the positive post on the starter.
Old September 14th, 2015, 12:39 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Adding another wire would be the same as going to one thicker wire. Depends on what you are going for, some people like the cleaner look of one.

The brown wire or the red wire from the starter to battery are hot. They are literally connected to the battery positive so if you bridge from alternator post or starter post to the block you're completing the path to ground.
Old September 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I'm confused. I thought the idea was to replace the brown wire, not add an additional wire?

Is there exposed circuitry on the engine block? While trying to measure the brown wire I almost welded my tape measure to my engine block. Yes, I should always disconnect the battery. Need to get my OJOP connectors on there so it's not such a hassle.
DC current travels on the surface of the conductor which is why dc wire is nearly always stranded instead of solid like AC. The more surface ie gauge, the higher the amperage capacity. By taking a single large gauge conductor from the alternator to the starter you have fixed the high amperage needs ie-most direct path to the battery. You can certainly cut into your existing harness and make the same upgrade, just pointing out that isn't necessary, as said it becomes a matter of personal preference. My opinion is that leaving the existing and adding a direct large gauge is more than simply upgrading the existing, and more is better.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 14th, 2015, 12:57 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I just did this on my 200TDi. Except I removed the brown wire completely as it was poorly spliced at one point and ran clockwise around the entire engine (maybe 4 feet or more of wire). I then added a new, shorter wire that went direct from my 120A alternator to the starter solenoid.
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Got it, thanks! Rovers North did the harness install. It looks legit so I think I'll leave it be and add a much shorter, addition wire as suggested. While I'm at it should I get a thicker gauge between battery and starter as well? Not sure what is on there currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
DC current travels on the surface of the conductor which is why dc wire is nearly always stranded instead of solid like AC. The more surface ie gauge, the higher the amperage capacity. By taking a single large gauge conductor from the alternator to the starter you have fixed the high amperage needs ie-most direct path to the battery. You can certainly cut into your existing harness and make the same upgrade, just pointing out that isn't necessary, as said it becomes a matter of personal preference. My opinion is that leaving the existing and adding a direct large gauge is more than simply upgrading the existing, and more is better.
Old September 14th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Not sure what is on there currently.
You should not need that. It is sized for the starter current, which is hundreds of Amps.

Old September 14th, 2015, 11:20 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Carl, since you're out here on the coast, you can get everything you need at West Marine. Go for their Ancor marine grade stuff and get the proper marine grade terminals as well. You will need to crimp the terminals with a proper crimper; depending on the gauge, you can use a small hand crimper or one of the bigger ones that looks like bolt cutters. For 4 AWG, it's probably going to be the big ones. I bought my Odyssey battery at Battery Systems and they let me borrow theirs. Someone locally might have one. West Marine might have one to lend, as well. Brian did not, last I checked.

/
/
/
/
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Can someone tell me what's going on here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1315456960.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	549.8 KB
ID:	130080  
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Here's the new one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3582505988.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	130081  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
300tdi, alternator, tdi