Upgraded 110 Interior Lamp/Dome Light - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2010, 06:20 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Mike thanks

This is what I did. I bought three new style interior lights, a plunger for the back, and the door bracket off a 90sw for the plunger to hit, I bought the wiring harness for the front lights and two for the rear out of a 90. I removed the old headliner and used templates made by ZE for exact size holes for the new lights. I cut the holes and had the old headliner recovered. Yes I bought all new push pins too. So that is how I got to where I am.

So I have all this crap ready to go in. Can I run the rear plunger cable directly to the back light if the back light also has the ground going to it or should i run the rear plunger cable forward to the ground that hooks up the front plungers before I plug into any light?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Take another look at Chance's diagram. You need to connect the purple/blue wire coming from the front door switches to all three lights. The rear plunger then just needs to be connected to the same terminal on the rear light. This way all three lights will come on when any of the doors is opened.
Old January 16th, 2010, 12:42 PM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Mike,
One thing I've always wanted to do on my truck is wire the two lights together so when I open any door they both go on. Not to complicate things but...do you know how to do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2010, 06:40 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_eaze View Post
Mike,
One thing I've always wanted to do on my truck is wire the two lights together so when I open any door they both go on. Not to complicate things but...do you know how to do that?
Yup,
Add a wire that connects the PURPLE/BLUE wire from the back light to the PURPLE/BLUE wire on the front light.
An additional wire that is spliced into the originals, don't cut anything, just add onto that ground circuit.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old January 16th, 2010, 08:29 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Thanks everyone!!! Did it today and everything works great. Will post pics tomorrow. Biggest issue is I cant get the liner pins in. I should say I can't get half of them in. I can't seem to line them up with the roof holes.

Such rage
Old January 17th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Thanks everyone!!! Did it today and everything works great. Will post pics tomorrow. Biggest issue is I cant get the liner pins in. I should say I can't get half of them in. I can't seem to line them up with the roof holes.

Such rage
Welcome to the club! I got most of them in, but there are a few I still need to get straightened out.
Old January 17th, 2010, 01:29 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

The lights I have to say are awesome and I am glad I left the switch in the dash. Right now they go on if I open the front doors or the rear door or if I am inside and want to flip them all on at once I just hit the dash switch. Kind of cool.
Old January 17th, 2010, 02:04 AM
the_eaze
Eric Brown
1997 Arles SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
Yup,
Add a wire that connects the PURPLE/BLUE wire from the back light to the PURPLE/BLUE wire on the front light.
An additional wire that is spliced into the originals, don't cut anything, just add onto that ground circuit.
Mike,
Thank you so much!!! I have wanted to do this mod for months but never knew how. I am doing this tomorrow!! Thanks man!

Eric.
Old January 17th, 2010, 05:31 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

Quote:
Right on! Glad you got it sorted out.

I used an awl to line things up and a rubber mallet to tap the plastic pins in. Patience and a liberal dose of cuss words are required.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old April 13th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
2. The new lights us a nice wiring harness #AMR3158. It helps make sure all the wires go in the right place, not required, but gives a nice finished look and they are idiot proof to plug in.
According to the parts catalogue the AMR3158 is for the front light and AMR3322 is the harness for the rear lights. Whats the difference?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I purchased the AMR3322 Rear Light Harness to add onto my AMR3158 Front wiring harness. I understand the Diagram but still have trouble figuring out which plug goes where. The rear wiring harness has a wide plastic plug on one end with two wires coming out of that plug; Purple and purple/blue stripe. As mentioned here, purple is constant power and the purple/blue is ground/door switch. What confuses me is that the other end of the cable has two connectors. The purple/blue (ground) has a flat connector with plastic over it. This one seems to fit the ground point on the lamp. The other plug on that end has the purple (power) and it ends with a weird looking cylindrical connector that looks like an audio jack except it is hollow. Where does this one go? Which plug attached to the rear light and which goes to the front? I'm confused.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:08 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Are you doing this in a NAS SW? dont you have the lights wired like this already?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yes its a NAS SW D90.

No. The front one is stock. The rear has no liner (I am putting one back in) and two bizarro lights that I am replacing with the stock rear wiring harness and light I just purchased. Just trying to put it all back the way its supposed to be (albeit with hi-intensity LEDs). I would like to set it up like you did where the front/rear doors activate both lights.

Quote:
Are you doing this in a NAS SW? dont you have the lights wired like this already?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Do you have a plunger and everything for the rear door? I did use the harness but it was not plug and play. I basically used the connectors so that the rear door acts as a third door. I just extended the power and grounds that go to the front light to the back light. I also extended the power and ground to the back door plunger. I wold have to look through this thread but I think it should be laid out. It was confusing to me until I actually did it and played with the wires etc.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There is a plunger for the rear door but it isn't hooked up to anything as far as I know and I don't know if it is working. So when you extended power & ground from the front... did you splice into the existing cables of the front light? Its the plugs on the rear harness that confuses me. Am I meant to plug these in somewhere or wire them into something? Perhaps that's what I have to do, get the diagram and just start messing with it.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Well the 110 didnt have any of this so I had to cut the ends of back door plug. I think you can wire the hot wire from the light to the plunger. The screw holding the plunger acts as the ground
Old May 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Thanks Barry. I will give it a shot. I need to remove the old rear light wiring first and do a clean install because the old stuff is independent from the front light right now.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I can't believe how easy this was to install! It's one of those things that seem complicated in theory but once you start messing with it, it's a no-brainer. Thanks for the excellent walk-through.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Awesome glad it worked.
Old July 4th, 2011, 12:31 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

nvrmnd
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, dome light, ht, interior, lamp