upgrade advice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 25th, 2005, 04:53 PM
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST
upgrade advice

I got a 94 ST I am looking to upgrade. I drive the vehicle on nice days, to duck hunt and hopefully on some off road treks soon. I am ready to replace the tires and shocks. I want a rig that works well off road, but still rides okay on the streets. Also looking for pros and cons for back seat, jump seats vs. bench seat. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Old September 25th, 2005, 05:42 PM
Tony Brooks
Whatever you do for seats, make sure you put seatbelts in there.

Otherwise, you'll pay out the nose for genuine versions of either. A jeep wrangler (gasp!) back seat does, apparently, fit well back there.

Old September 26th, 2005, 01:11 AM
Chris Brennan

I'd take a look at Expedition Exchange's site. There's alot of manufacturers/products shown that might get you going in the right direction as far as accessories/upgrades.

I have the inward facing jump seats and have no complaints, but if you're planning on transporting a good amount of gear then the bench seats probably work better- the flat surface would be easier to lay thing on.

Old Man Emu springs/shocks have a deservedly good reputation, as do Bilsteins.

Just my $.2
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Jimbe Motumbo
97 D90 Wagon
rear bench

I took the jump seats out of my hardtop and installed a Jeep CJ/YJ rear bench seat. Went with the Bestop trail seat in gray vinyl and it just about matches the D90 interior. Installed easily and perfectly. Generic lap belts bolted to the floor behind the bench. When my 3 year old is alot bigger, everything can back to stock, or I can use all the seats when I convert to a 130
Old October 14th, 2005, 02:18 AM
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110
I use military inward facing bench seats. They're not as comfortable as the D90 jump seats but they take up less space and fold up better. Check out a VW part supplier for seat belts, I got 4 classic style ones for $60CDN.
Bike Mike
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:47 AM
'94 D90 ST
Originally Posted by TND90
Also looking for pros and cons for back seat, jump seats vs. bench seat.
How many people do you want to carry? How big will they be? How much do you care about them?
Jump seats get you 4 people squeezed in the back, bench gets you two much more comfortably. Bench seat gets you more traditional type seatbelts (probably safer?) whereas the jumpseats will have different impact issues (sideways) in a crash.
I think you can put more into the truck with the jumpseats folded up than you can with the bench folded down. You loose realestate up by the windows instead of from the floor. YMMV.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions