Until I swap engines to an EFI... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 28th, 2014, 09:18 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Until I swap engines to an EFI...

I am looking for a shop in the Orange County/Los Angeles area that can rebuild my carbs without breaking the bank (V8 3.5L).

I am aware of the database on this forum that lists all the shops in my area, but am rather looking for a personal recommendation based on 1st hand experience.
Defenderless, for now!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 28th, 2014, 09:36 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Petes Marina motors in Venice…Not cheap but straight and honest and done right the first time. Also Four Oaks in Santa Monica. Used them both for years with multiple different rovers. Petes better with the old stuff 4 oaks for the new stuff.
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:12 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Rather than swapping out to EFI why not swap to a new manifold and carb?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2014, 09:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Rather than swapping out to EFI why not swap to a new manifold and carb?
I already suggested that in his other thread. Likely cheaper overall and better performance.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
I like my 3.5 with Edelbrock. But I have always wondered if I was starting from scratch and (for what ever reason) decided that I must have EFI....

Would it be cheaper / easier to mod the side draft carb 3.5 with an EFI system or cheaper/easier to do a full swap with a 3.9 from a junkyard disco. I do not know the answer .... it is just one of those thread distracting thoughts I have sometimes.....
Sterling, VA
Old August 29th, 2014, 09:50 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

and less complicated to swap out the carb and mani VS EFI. And you could get it serviced pretty much anywhere... that carb is used all over the place you could even take it into Taco Bell and have it rebuilt it is so common
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:36 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I already suggested that in his other thread. Likely cheaper overall and better performance.
I am planning a complete engine swap with a 3.9L EFI which I've already sourced from Chip on this board (out of his '94 D90), but until then (maybe a year down the road), I was hoping to get the current engine running better and more reliably.

I am not entirely certain that the carbs are the culprits, but 3 issues seem to point in that direction:

1) Hesitation upon take off from idle after the engine has reached normal operating temperatures
2) Engine idle is high after the truck has been driven awhile, especially in hot weather
3) Sudden decrease in power during normal driving which adjusts itself back to normal, again though in hot weather conditions.

------ Follow up post added August 29th, 2014 09:42 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
and less complicated to swap out the carb and mani VS EFI. And you could get it serviced pretty much anywhere... that carb is used all over the place you could even take it into Taco Bell and have it rebuilt it is so common
I wish I could share your enthusiasm, but unless I'm not looking in the right places, I cannot find a local mechanic that can look at those cars for me, and keep in mind that I'm in Southern California, "the Mecca of automobiles"

I can't even find a British Car (MG, Rover, Jag) mechanic anymore, and the couple of places I found don't work on carbs anymore.
Defenderless, for now!
Old August 29th, 2014, 12:55 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Seriously?! you've gone to see Peter and he won't work on an english car with carbs? nonsense. Sensing a pattern here. You ask the membership for their advice and once given to you its ignored….

http://englishcars.com
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:05 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Calm down there buddy! I never said I went to visit Peter and he won't work on English cars. You provided the link 15 hours ago and I haven't had the chance to go to his shop yet, as he is about an hour away from me (I'm in Irvine). As a matter of fact I called his shop this morning and got an answering machine, and also called Four Oaks, and his shop is closed until Tuesday.

I was simply making an observation about shops in Orange County where I live, besides I did say: "unless I'm not looking in the right places", so get off your high horse there. No pattern of anything here!
Defenderless, for now!
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:07 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
Im calm tough guy.. apologies for trying to help you. disregard my post.. take your truck to the dealership.
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:11 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Again not being a tough guy or anything, and I appreciate all the help you and this board have provided so far, but you're the one who's assuming that there is a pattern her, and that I'm refusing the help or advice of this board.

I think you jumped the gun a little bit.
Defenderless, for now!
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:13 PM
phoenix37
john

Registry
I might have… seemed like a good thing to say at the time. Just a word of advice.. Peter is the best there is but he is like the Soup Nazi.. if he doesnt like you he will turn you away.. if you are cool he will drop everything he is doing and help you on the spot.
Old August 29th, 2014, 01:25 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Thanks John, I appreciate it. I'll be on my best behavior
Defenderless, for now!
Old August 29th, 2014, 04:03 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
^^ LOL ^^

We have a guy thats good with carbs here in central Virginia.
Ben in Charlottesville.

His bread and butter, I'm told, is old Jags with multiple carbs.
He can almost tell whats wrong when they pull in with a rough running motor...

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 29th, 2014, 05:04 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Samer,

I was talking about being able to get the Edelbrock carb worked on / rebuilt just about anywhere. They are the same carbs that have been used for many many years on ford, chevy, dodge.

my .02 cents worth

If you put a new manifold and carb on rather than getting your current carbs rebuilt you might find you like it enough to not mess with the EFI down the road. Installing the mani and carb should be something you can do at home in the garage for about the same price as having someone rebuild your stock rover carbs.

Why complicate your defender with a rover EFI system? Seems like a bunch of work to get an inferior fuel delivery system. I could see just getting them working if you were waiting to swap in an LS motor but for a 3.9 and rover EFI?

If you decide you want to swap in the rover EFI in later then you will have several people willing to buy the carb and minifold compared to throwing the rover carbs in the trash.

Your rover and money just trying to help
Old August 29th, 2014, 06:00 PM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
Thanks for the clarification Dave. I mistakenly assumed you were talking about the SU carbs in the truck now. A couple of weeks back I looked at the Edelbrock option, and the only reason I'm shying away, perhaps mistakenly is because of 3 reasons:

1) cost of NEW parts (manifold and carb), $600 and up depending on the carburator
2) increased horsepower of the 3.9L EFI engine
3) the eventuality of wanting to title the truck in California, knowing that the truck will have to have EFI (among other things) in order to be CARB compliant.

I can meanwhile be "persuaded" to go the Edelbrock way if I can find the required parts in used condition.
Defenderless, for now!
Old August 29th, 2014, 07:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by samer0214 View Post
Thanks for the clarification Dave. I mistakenly assumed you were talking about the SU carbs in the truck now. A couple of weeks back I looked at the Edelbrock option, and the only reason I'm shying away, perhaps mistakenly is because of 3 reasons:

1) cost of NEW parts (manifold and carb), $600 and up depending on the carburator
2) increased horsepower of the 3.9L EFI engine
3) the eventuality of wanting to title the truck in California, knowing that the truck will have to have EFI (among other things) in order to be CARB compliant.

I can meanwhile be "persuaded" to go the Edelbrock way if I can find the required parts in used condition.
while the 3.9 is more powerful than your 3.5 its not because of the efi. Its because it is a larger and higher compression engine.
One puts out 114 bhp the other 182 bhp.

FWIW the gems 4.0 made 190 and the 14cux 4.2 made 200.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	homengine.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	101813  

Dividing Creek Imports

Old August 29th, 2014, 07:50 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Beautiful state too bad the people making laws / rules are a bunch of lunatics.

I know next to nothing about CARB compliance other than what I have discussed with Nick RE the LS swap.

Do you really think that you are going to get someone to tune / rebuild your carbs for much less than the $600 that you would spend on the parts? I would spend the $600 on the carb / manifold and install myself rather than pay to have the rover carbs rebuilt / tuned but I HATE the stock carbs.

When you are done with the Edelbrock parts you can still get 50% of that money back VS the pittance that you would get from selling the rover carbs.

FWIW if I lived in Cali and wanted fuel injection, power, reliability and to be CARB compliant I would talk to Nick about an LS swap
Old November 30th, 2014, 08:38 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Jumping into this thread to get some feedback on the Edelbrock conversion for my 3.5. Considering it as a step for the next 2 or three years until I decide whether to do diesel swap or not. I thought I might do the carb swap at the same time as a head gasket job I am planning.

I have gone to the Edelbrock site and tracked down the part numbers for the rover manifold (#2198), Thunder Series carb (#1802), and carb stud kit. Planned to stay with manual choke. What air cleaners have worked for rovers (Defender 110). I see the Edelbrock manifold has the vacuum port for the brake system.

I would really be interested in hearing from a few folks who have done this and whether this is as straight forward as it seems. Really curious whether there were any tuning issues getting it to run right following installation. Any special parts needed to hook up the Rover throttle and choke cables? I see Edelbrock says this carb is non EGR. I was planning on removing my EGR lines from my heads and plugging those ports anyway, but is there any place on the manifold or carb to hook up the vacuum lines that come out of my valve covers?

Also it looks like I need a thremostat adaptor to accept the water pump hose that normally goes to bottom of original manifold but on Edelbrock manifold it goes into the radiator thermostat housing instead. Is RPI the only place to get that adaptor??

Thanks in advance.
Old November 30th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrockhound View Post
Jumping into this thread to get some feedback on the Edelbrock conversion for my 3.5. Considering it as a step for the next 2 or three years until I decide whether to do diesel swap or not. I thought I might do the carb swap at the same time as a head gasket job I am planning.

I have gone to the Edelbrock site and tracked down the part numbers for the rover manifold (#2198), Thunder Series carb (#1802), and carb stud kit. Planned to stay with manual choke. What air cleaners have worked for rovers (Defender 110). I see the Edelbrock manifold has the vacuum port for the brake system.

I would really be interested in hearing from a few folks who have done this and whether this is as straight forward as it seems. Really curious whether there were any tuning issues getting it to run right following installation. Any special parts needed to hook up the Rover throttle and choke cables? I see Edelbrock says this carb is non EGR. I was planning on removing my EGR lines from my heads and plugging those ports anyway, but is there any place on the manifold or carb to hook up the vacuum lines that come out of my valve covers?

Also it looks like I need a thremostat adaptor to accept the water pump hose that normally goes to bottom of original manifold but on Edelbrock manifold it goes into the radiator thermostat housing instead. Is RPI the only place to get that adaptor??

Thanks in advance.
We have one of these on a 4.2 in an 83. The original accel cable worked fine. The 500cfm carb has her running a tad rich but well enough that we haven't touched it. Truck is getting around 12mpg which is what NAS 110's got when new per the window stickers. If you are going to do head gaskets consider putting the later higher compression heads on. If I were approaching it like you are I would buy some second hand fuel injection heads off a 3.9/4.2/or 4.0, have a valve job done so that when you do the head gaskets you significantly up the compression ratio to around 9 to 1. That will make a huge difference.

For the water pump to manifold issue we have an original 60's buick tempest thermostat housing.
Pretty sure those are easier to find than going to RPI.

Dividing Creek Imports

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine