Until I swap engines to an EFI... - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 30th, 2014, 10:10 PM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

I too am running a 4bbl manifold and the edelbrock 500cfm carb on my V8 and am very pleased with it. it was a fairly straight forward conversion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 1st, 2014, 07:52 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Regarding the vent tubes from the valve covers - each side runs up to a "y" and then the single line plugs into the rear of the air cleaner assembly (not the carb itself). You may need to buy the "Y" and some generic vacuum lines - but it all standard auto parts store stuff.

Any old round air filter works. They are really cheap. You just need to match your air cleaner size. McMike has a sophisticated engineered air cleaner and I just run the standard 11 inch Edelbrock. We both seem to do ok.

I double what Doug said about getting newer EFI heads with a better compression ratio.

As far as tuning - I tweaked my carb (Edlebrock 1404) with different needles and jets until I was blue in the face. I was never able to generate a significantly better result than the way it was tuned out of the box new (but I was able to do worse).

The only problem I have is when I go off road and drive at severe angles. The carbs do not run well when tipped - even with the special off road floats and springs installed. Once you get back level - everything is fine again.
Sterling, VA
Old December 1st, 2014, 09:15 AM
LRover
J. Michael McCaig
D90 ST, LR110, Series IIa, RRC

"Sophisticated engineered air cleaner" That's being generous for sure! It's a peanut can turned upside down that just happened to fit the carb. I didn't have room for a standard air cleaner so necessity became the mother of invention.

I played with re-jetting the carb but, like David, I didn't have too much luck and went back to factory specs. Adjusting the float level helped a lot on the off-angle trails but I swear the old dual carb setup would run upside down...just didn't run well on the flat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0267.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	107853  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
engine