Unknown Defender - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Austringer
Jason
None

Unknown Defender

I just picked up what I believe to be a LHD Defender that was used in a movie last year year. It was made to look like it was burned (only cosmetic) as they removed the engine and then used heat guns and paint to make her look rough. The plastic on the turn signals and tires and wiring harness is not damaged. They did a damn good job (the movie it was in as a back ground vehicle in is close to 250mil in budget. I bought the Defender for next to nothing and the engine runs great.

Here are the specs.
I believe it's a 110 but not 100% sure as I only glanced at it for about 30 seconds and ended up buying it on the way home from picking up another vehicle from my friend (who owned the Defender).
It has a V8 (believe 3.5) please see picture.
The VIN plate shows a BL Cars Ltd. I know they were involved with Rover at one point.

I hope someone can decipher the VIN number and tell me what I have. I paid $1200 for the vehicle, was running prior to engine being removed for the filming. The body is in great shape (besides the makeup on her) will need paint, but I was thinking about leaving her the way she was b/c she looks good all rough looking.

VIN number: LBCAV2AA100786

When I tried to look up the VIN, it would appear to be a Series III, which has me confused. Either way, for what I paid, I don't car, she'll make a fun little toy.

------ Follow up post added January 6th, 2014 11:57 AM ------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2014, 12:58 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The VIN is for a Stage 1 series 3, not a Defender. Picture not working.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 6th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
I'm not seeing a picture?

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:00 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Edit

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

The picture is of the vin plate.

A stage 1 is a nice score either way. That would make it a 109.

Unknown Author

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:01 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Windshield, wings, wheel cutouts all look to be Series-type.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:02 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Ok pictures are showing now. Good God that thing looks awful. I guess they achieved the 'look' they were going for. Its a series.

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:03 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
weird, free engine in the back?

hell if it runs and drives its a deal
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtomchik View Post
weird, free engine in the back?

hell if it runs and drives its a deal
No, that IS the engine. He stated they removed it for the movie work.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:13 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Looks to be a series from all outward appearances and vin. Suspension will be the dead giveaway. Cant tell from the pics but a quick peek underneath should reveal all. Leaf springs = series chassis, coil springs = defender chassis.

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:22 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Cool find.

Robert Deniro
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Austringer
Jason
None

Thanks for all the help with the identification. I was not aware of the State 1 Rovers, only the Series 1-3 and the Defenders (my brother-in-law has a very nice 1996 Def90 in Beluga Black). My main interest and experience is with very early Ford M151s and AMC M422s.

The engine in the back is the engine for it. Again, I have about 1500 in the vehicle (including going to get it in a few weeks), so I'm not worried. It ran and was driven around before it had the engine removed so should be a quick (weekend or day) engine install. I was just wanting a runabout to play with as the M422 is a bit dangerous on the Atlanta streets as it's about the size of a golf cart (65" wheelbase), only 1700 lbs and will do 60mph. The other I keep at my place gets the cops called on me every time I take it out, M151A1C (with the 106mm). I've always liked the Rovers and have looked at a few over the years, but just never jump in until now.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:25 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austringer View Post
Thanks for all the help with the identification. I was not aware of the State 1 Rovers, only the Series 1-3 and the Defenders (my brother-in-law has a very nice 1996 Def90 in Beluga Black). My main interest and experience is with very early Ford M151s and AMC M422s.

The engine in the back is the engine for it. Again, I have about 1500 in the vehicle (including going to get it in a few weeks), so I'm not worried. It ran and was driven around before it had the engine removed so should be a quick (weekend or day) engine install. I was just wanting a runabout to play with as the M422 is a bit dangerous on the Atlanta streets as it's about the size of a golf cart (65" wheelbase), only 1700 lbs and will do 60mph. The other I keep at my place gets the cops called on me every time I take it out, M151A1C (with the 106mm). I've always liked the Rovers and have looked at a few over the years, but just never jump in until now.
Series III stage 1, it's a really late Series III with parts that look similar to a 110.

Dave short has one.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:40 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is a ~79-82 Series III stage I V8. It has a 4 speed LT95 gearbox, 3.54 diffs, and the low compression V8 you see in the back.

It is a nice truck if the chassis and bulkhead are good. I would leave the paint just the way it is.
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:48 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I would leave the paint just the way it is.

Oddly I was thinking the same thing

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old January 6th, 2014, 01:51 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Was it on the Walking Dead?

Old January 6th, 2014, 01:59 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I would leave the paint just the way it is.
Me too.

Put the motor back in and just drive the thing. $1,500 seems like cheap fun if you can get it running in a weekend. I would paint a few things black like the rims and bumper to tone it down a bit but think it looks really cool burnt.
Old January 6th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Clearly a S3 Stage 1.
But its also Exmod based on lights and holes in bumper.
But wait, there is more. I'm suspecting its might also be a heavy duty One ton type. Just look at those tires sizes and the tire to body clearance. Wonder if the MOD had some specially built units.

Think you should send the Vin in to the Heritage center and get some more on its history.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old January 6th, 2014, 02:28 PM
Austringer
Jason
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Clearly a S3 Stage 1.
But its also Exmod based on lights and holes in bumper.
But wait, there is more. I'm suspecting its might also be a heavy duty One ton type. Just look at those tires and the tire to body clearance. Wonder if the MOD had some specially built units.

Think you should send the Vin in to the Heritage center and get some more on its history.
Thanks, that was great news as I was told it was former MOD, but was not sure so I didn't mention that earlier. How would I send for info from the Heritage Center? :-)

Again, new to Rover's.
Jason
Old January 6th, 2014, 09:20 PM
C391HAT
Zach
86 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austringer View Post
Thanks, that was great news as I was told it was former MOD, but was not sure so I didn't mention that earlier. How would I send for info from the Heritage Center? :-)

Again, new to Rover's.
Jason
http://www.heritage-motor-centre.co....-services.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender