Underhood Insulation - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 15th, 2014, 01:54 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I have Dynamat and Dynamat hoodliner on my hood and love it. Gets rid of that awful noise when you slam the hood shut too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 15th, 2014, 08:58 PM
pitchrollyaw
wayne p
1985 d90 2.5NA

Registry
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. Hadn't thought about Hoodliner's sponge potential......
..tolerant Wife...
Old October 16th, 2014, 08:44 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchrollyaw View Post
Thanks all, appreciate the feedback. Hadn't thought about Hoodliner's sponge potential......
Really hasn't been an issue for me. The few times it has gotten wet it dries right out with all the heat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 16th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
I have Dynamat and Dynamat hoodliner on my hood and love it. Gets rid of that awful noise when you slam the hood shut too.
Noticeable difference then?yes I do see those DB numbers nothing but metal between and the drivetrain.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:02 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I have a 200TDi with the acoustic valve cover and 3/4 dynaliner and the extreme dynamite over the turbo. Works ok for me so far.

Disclosure: I failed to tighten my turbo down pipe properly and it came apart spewing hot turbo exhaust onto the dyna liner extreme. Some tar melting occurred but otherwise unscathed. I removed it put in a new piece of extreme and tightened my down pipe. tada.

Old October 16th, 2014, 08:00 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Don't rule this option out

Consider this

http://http://www.lowes.com/pd_15401...ductId=1018733

Its called peel n seal. At $1.25/square foot its worth a look. It is an aluminum backed butyl based product. I have used it on my footwells and seat box and floors with good results. It sticks great (even in the cold up here). At 6 inches wide its more work to cover large areas.

Based on the description of dynamat and BQ peel and seal looks like a cost effective alternative. Even if you put on 2 layers its still a fraction of the cost. You can buy it at Lowes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	peelseal.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	105177  
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:36 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

But have you tried it?

Old October 16th, 2014, 09:43 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Yup

Yes,

I used it in my footwells, bulkhead, floors, tunnel and seat box, plus in the rear load area. I think its a good product. For $16 I suggest you pick up a roll at Lowes and decide for yourself.

I plan to use it under my hood but I want to do some corrosion abatement first. I have a 3.5 so its not exactly noisy compared to the road noise and drive train. Likely put it under my headliner too when I finally get in there.

Good luck
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

At that price its worth it. Just checked out Dynamat shipping via amazon v Bquiet. There is no comparison. Bquiet shipping is as much as the product. Amazon prime makes the dynamat an easy winner. But at $16 a pop, this stuff seems to hit the price point that others will never reach.

Shame the Lowes link seems so flaky.

Old October 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrockhound View Post
Consider this

http://http://www.lowes.com/pd_15401...ductId=1018733

Its called peel n seal. At 1.25/square foot its worth a look. It is an aluminum backed butyl based product. I have used it on my footwells and seat box and floors with good results. It sticks great (even in the cold up here). At 6 inches wide its more work to cover large areas.

Based on a description of it with dynamat and BQ this stuff is comparable at a fraction of the cost. You can buy it at Lowes
I'll admit that back in the day, I've used home improvement products on cars and truck (mostly as a early 20-something when money was tight and my cars were shit).
However, this is a "gateway drug"! Next thing you know, you'll be using bathroom caulking to seal rust holes in your bulkhead and then you'll hit rock bottom and your door hinges will say "Schlage" on them!

In all seriousness, that stuff is a fraction of the cost because it's not engineered for that task. It could be flammable and most likely isn't designed for vibration and adhesion in those conditions.

I know when you buy hardware the basic rule is (in descending order of quality):
1) aviation grade;
2) marine grade;
3) automotive grade;
4) home improvement
Do yourself a favor and if you're not going to use proper components at least go UP a grade and find something used in the marine application, like the stuff used in the generator compartment or something.
Don't mean to scold or sound harsh, but who's gonna want a truck that has ice&water shield applied under the bonnet. It's a huge red flag to me, don't do it!
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:18 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Lowes

try this one

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...ductId=1018733

or type this into your browser

http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326...ductId=1018733
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:31 PM
jabber
m j

I've used both peel-n-seal and Dynamat... They both do the same thing, in the end. They're about the same thickness. You'd have to have super human hearing or be a machine to tell the difference.

I'd recommend peel-n-seal, as does my pocket-book.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:26 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
thanks Jabber

Good to know - good for everyone to know

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hood