Defender Source Forum banner

underhood cleaning

Tags
hood
2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  mikeslandrover 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
My most recent trip through the mud has left my engine bay filthy. Hof should I go about cleaning it without getting the ecu or other fragile electronics wet. I fell like I'm asking a dumb question but my ecu has gotten wet before which disabled my truck for the day.
Thanks fo the help

#2 ·
I know a guy once who used a pressure washer under the hood of his Wrangler..... sure was expensive in replaced components, so I wouldn't suggest that.

One thing I have done that works somewhat well is use a stiff nylon brush, something like a 3" wide paintbrush should be fine, and gently brush everything out. If the mud is really caked on and dried, it can be tough to get off without water. Sometimes using the brush and a bucket of water to dip it into will help, you just need to avoid the electonic components.

-Hans

#5 ·
Jimmy, his is a '97 so it has a lot more electronics under the hood that are vulnerable. On the 1994/95 trucks you really only have to worry about the distributor.

-Hans

#7 ·
pressure washing

I've pressure washed the motor and the the underneath - repeatedly - all 4 Range Rovers I've owned (including a current 1999 RR), and the 3 Defenders and never had a problem.

#8 ·
You know what's bad about pressure wash, it forced water where it's
not suppose to go, so even if you have a non-ecu or egr diesel engine,
i don't think pressure wash is the best think to do.
Buy a liquid degreaser, apply with a sprayer (like a water sprayer for plants),
wait a few minutes, then rinse it with gentle hose spray, and if you can
get your hand on one air compressor, blow some air to dry engine well.
In very dirty spots, you can use a paint brush with degreaser.
At the end of operation you can spray some WD40 on moving parts
like compressor pulley and also on rubber hoses (remember WD means
Water Displace).

Good luck :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.