Undercoating and other newbie questions. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:42 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

Undercoating and other newbie questions.

Guys thanks for all the help on the "Simple Repairs" thread. Ended up taking the truck to Ricardo at the Foreign Car Center in queens. Real good guys but after getting the bill i need to make it a priority to get more involved with the NYC guys and start doing my own work with their help.

Two Questions:

Considering i will be traveling to vermont nearly every weekend for snowboard season...are there any suggestions for undercoating? There was another thread about this but didn't seem resolved. Can i do it myself? cost of undercoating? How time intensive is it?

The heat: I have a 97 with A/C. This might be totally normal but just curious. The levers on the left of the steering wheel are very difficult to move up or down. I feel like im about to snap them. One controls the "temperature" and the other changes direction, from all up top above the dash to some up top and some below by your feet. Does anyone else struggle moving the controls and/or breaking them? and should the heat blow out of the vents where my A/C blows out?

I'm looking forward to the next NY/NJ/CT meetup, I need to become more involved in this hobby!

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:46 PM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

How do people feel about Ziebart?

I know it sounds dealer-cheezy but the FJ Toyota guys swear by it and spray it into all the rockers and door cavities and frame.
Old December 23rd, 2009, 09:49 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
heat (what there is of it) will come out between your feet. My suggestion is heated seats you can put them in yourself for 100 , heated blanket or just man up and deal with it. I put heated seats in when I left CA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
merlin8ty
Cliff Weinstein
1997 D-90 AA Yellow

The temp is fine, i was just curious, i thought it was odd that it didnt blow out the vents.

Follow-up Post:

It was 20 degrees today in New York and it wasnt cold at all. I actually had the window open on the drive back listening to the exhaust, they replaced some gaskets, sounds great now.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:43 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
waxoyl...

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

or RN and apply yourself...

Cheers...
Old December 24th, 2009, 08:31 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

There is a guy in Manchester that does Waxoyl too and cheaper, Bob Bushee.
Old December 24th, 2009, 09:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Just have the truck regularly rinsed off underneath and save the undercoat for a summer project. Before undercoating you need to be pretty sure the truck is in good condition ... undercoating can conceal problems.

My heater controls are pretty stiff too, the cables are probably a bit dry and need some lube. I would imagine that it's possible to remove the inner cable and lube it all up nicely without too much hassle.
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:04 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
One vote here for no undercoating. Lots of people swear that it helps reduce corrosion, but I think that's just hype from the people who make the stuff. I would never put Waxoyl or anything else on the underside. This is especially pertinent for those who use their trucks off road.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

I'd have to disagree 100% Bill. Waxoyl is unlike any type of rubber coating that could hold in moisture. A properly prepped and done job of waxoyl absolutely preserves a frame.
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Waxoyl works. Not a matter of opinion, all you have to do is compare vehicles that haven't had it to those that have. It isn't like some of the other coatings that end up trapping moisture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNY
I'd have to disagree 100% Bill. Waxoyl is unlike any type of rubber coating that could hold in moisture. A properly prepped and done job of waxoyl absolutely preserves a frame.
Old December 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Do not use asphalt or rubber based undercoating EVER. I spent four days with a torch and a putty knife scraping that crap off of my series III chassis and it does not inhibit rust. It just hides it. Waxoyl is better but the best is cleaned properly prepared metal with POR or chassis saver paint.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:02 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I have no experience with Waxoyl but I do with undercoating. The PO had it done on my truck. It is now costing me quite a bit of coin to replace the frame and several parts that were rusted. It trapped moisture and the frame just rotted. Funny part is, maybe more sad than anything, is there were spots where the coating had worn off quickly, those spots looked brand new, from the shop floor. But places where it had just cracked and peeled a little, it trapped moisture and salt from the roads. Some of the holes were big enough to put my fist in. You can see the damage on the frame swap thread the SafariRover started under major projects.
Old December 24th, 2009, 12:11 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
says the guy who lives in georgia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Do not use asphalt or rubber based undercoating EVER. I spent four days with a torch and a putty knife scraping that crap off of my series III chassis and it does not inhibit rust. It just hides it. Waxoyl is better but the best is cleaned properly prepared metal with POR or chassis saver paint.
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:28 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin8ty
The heat: I have a 97 with A/C. This might be totally normal but just curious. The levers on the left of the steering wheel are very difficult to move up or down. I feel like im about to snap them. One controls the "temperature" and the other changes direction, from all up top above the dash to some up top and some below by your feet. Does anyone else struggle moving the controls and/or breaking them? and should the heat blow out of the vents where my A/C blows out?
The controls can be lubed and should move freely if lubricated. Pretty easy to get into the dash and hit them with wd40.

It only blows out 2 vents below the dash (on a '94 these came out holes in the AC facia), and up onto the windoshield

hth
charles
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:40 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

On the 97's the heat either comes out in the foot wells or the defroster vents. The heat and AC are two completely separate systems.

Old December 24th, 2009, 04:48 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Waxoyl... Dawson in CT ...Classic's 4x4...

The treatment includes power washing the entire underside, and engine compartment. Applying hardwax-(black) to the entire underside, as well as the entire frame and crossmembers etc. Then the vehicle gets the waxoyl-(clear), applied to all of the flooring, engine compartment, inside of the fenders, doors, quarter panels, and frame etc.

They pressure wash the 1st night and dry the vehicle. Then wrap the vehicle up with protective material, and apply the hardwax. Next evening, when they apply the waxoyl.
After vehicle is washed, and checked for overspray.

You can then pick up the vehicle on the 3rd day.

The cost was $850.00

The price might have gone up... but that is what it was a couple of months ago...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions