Undercoating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 30th, 2004, 12:37 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

Undercoating

Is anyone familiar with the undercoating application that Rhino liner offers? Good? Bad? The guy was pretty vague about exactly what was in the formula. I'd like to do the Waxoyl but there isn't a shop anywhere near me that's doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

The one bad thing I have heard is that the Rhino liner, is water can still get inside of the frame from the top but because the bottom is sealed it can not get out and rust starts on the inside of things.
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Phil,

Order up from Rovers' North. I think 6-8 cans will do a very thorough initial coat. I usually get about 3 cans to touch up in the fall and early spring. It's survivied moderat wheeling well. What really kills it is a pressure washer. Late winter, early spring, some small patches usually wear thru. But they look exactly as new as when I first applied it.

EwS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 30th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Really, the waxoil is for inside the frame. The outside should have decent paint and then undercoating. If done right, it should last 10 to 15 years of regular use.
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:19 PM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I thought waxoyl was an undercoating John? Regular rubberized undercoats don't repel water, so they actually do more harm than good. The waxoyl can be used on the frame- inside and out, no problem. Make sure you get the Waxoyl undercoating, not the one for body cavities, which is for insides of doors, bulkhead, exc...
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:24 PM
PT94D90
Phil
Currently Defenderless

The most I could get out of the Rhino liner guy was that their undercoat is a tar and asphalt compound.
Old September 30th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You missed the point. You paint, the paint protects the steel, if done properly. You then undercoat. The "softer" undercoating protects the paint from chipping.

Where I live they coat the roads in gravel and salt for half the year. The underside of cars get sand blasted with salt water continuously. Properly applied undercoating lasts nearly indefinitely,

Waxoil, is wax and oil. Easily worn off. But good to get inside things as it runs into teh crack and prevent rusting from the inside.
Old October 4th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Dfndr90
Matt Wunderle
1995 Defender 90

Rovers North. Call and talk to them. I just ordered a case to do the truck. Follow their advice. I have some other undercoating on the truck now and is is pealing off in sheet. The Waxoyl stays soft and should not peel off, just needs to be touched up.
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

I have had my Waxoyl on the truck for 2 years with moderate offroad use. Works great and is a bitch to get off. Small areas have been washed off with the pressure washer at the end of winter after perhaps twice a week washings.

I highly reccommend it. Make sure you get the undercoating and not the interior coat for jams ect...

EwS
Old October 4th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Cube II
Michele
1997 D90

Registry
I waxoyled the chassis of my 90 few weeks ago.
It took 2 weekends to clean it properly (I mean "properly")
with pressure washer,water and gasoline as last.
Once dried I applied the Waxoyl.

Actually (some weeks later),the chassis still look like new (ok,no offroad trips recently).
What worries me a bit is that the film is sticky still.
A friend of mine in UK said it gets really tricky to clean the chassis again after a mudbath.

I hope it'll dry out sooner or later,but I have the feeling it won't happen!

As for the undercoating:a proper Waxoyl undercoating is available,but
I know a lot of people who use Waxoyl for regular undercoating...as the label suggests.

I let the inside of the chassis untouched,as I plan to get a couple of Dinitrol can,
which should be a helluva easier to spray inside.
Whaxoyl is an absolute mess to spray in correctly as it drips everywhere (read:on yourself and the driveway) and you can never know how you did the job.
(talking of myself)

Anyway looks great and it's better than a KITA.
+109" IIA ex-military

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sketches and doodles:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[O]===[O]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions