Undercoating - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Undercoating

After I Get my rear cross member replaced I.m thinking have having the 90 undercoated. I have very little rust on it other than the CM.
Good Idea??

I took pictures of it before to prove I'm not going over rust.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Undercoating not so much, but investing in either a DIY or a professional WAXOYL job would be highly recommended..

http://www.robisonservice.com/servicedep/waxoyl.asp

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:32 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

They rust inside out Rich. Fill the inside of the frame with waxyoyl or similar.
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Ron,
That's what I thought.......Where is the best place to get this done around here? Or what is need to spray inside the frame rails if I do it myself.

Thanks
Rich
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM
evilfij
evilfij

If ROVERS does the annual frame oiler, we could do it then. I do not know of a commerical place. I have been meaning to do mine too. I need to buy some stuff to make the DIY waxoyl as the cans are expensive.
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:59 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I just spent four days with a torch and a putty knife scraping undercoating off of my series chassis. DONT DO IT! I will never undercoat anything ever again. I hides the rust but does not stop it unless the surface is surgically clean of rust prior to treatment. Good chassis paint or POR is the best bet for new material. Waxoil for maintenance.
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks for all the great info...Ron if you find something I'll split the cost with you!
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
Thanks for all the great info...Ron if you find something I'll split the cost with you!
Going with something like this. Thinking about using toilet bowl rings and not parrifin wax.

http://www.gomog.com/allmorgan37.htm

I am pretty sure I have a sprayer in the basement too. You get the wax and stuff and I will make it all and provide the sprayer and we can do it at my house so we don't ruin your driveway.
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Rich,

I bought the Waxoyl kit from RN. Two guns, wands, A can of Hardwax and a can of Clear (120-40). The Clear is meant for: body cavities, inside doors, inside chassis and tailgate. The Hardwax is for underbody: floor boards, steering linkage and differentials.

The Haynes manual has some decent instructions if you need it.

Quote:
Ron,
That's what I thought.......Where is the best place to get this done around here? Or what is need to spray inside the frame rails if I do it myself.

Thanks
Rich
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Rich,

I bought the Waxoyl kit from RN. Two guns, wands, A can of Hardwax and a can of Clear (120-40). The Clear is meant for: body cavities, inside doors, inside chassis and tailgate. The Hardwax is for underbody: floor boards, steering linkage and differentials.

The Haynes manual has some decent instructions if you need it.
Isn't that several hundred dollars? I bought a couple of spray cans, but parrifin is about $2 a pound on amazon (6lbs for $12) and the other materials are dirt cheap too.
Old October 12th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Mpigapicha
phil
1995 Defender D90

How's the 3M undercoating products compared to waxoyl? makes sense to make it yourself compared to the cost of it commercially sold..... I'm currently treating the rust with an inhibitor and have not yet decided which route I'm going to take for undercoating. 3M is convenient and readily available, plus gets great user reviews.
phil
Old October 12th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Yes, it's expensive. I did my first treatment a year ago. I had the whole underbody power washed, steam cleaned and brushed before applying it. The new coat should last about 3-5 years and I have plenty left for more treatments.

I'm not sure the clear stuff has wax in it. If it does, its not very much. That is the stuff you want to shoot inside your frame. You definitely don't want the Wax stuff inside your doors or it might clog the door mechanism. The Wax stuff is for the exterior only. I think.

I'm interested in the DYI approach. Will probably go that route once I run out. Keep us posted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Isn't that several hundred dollars? I bought a couple of spray cans, but parrifin is about $2 a pound on amazon (6lbs for $12) and the other materials are dirt cheap too.
Old October 12th, 2009, 11:51 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

I now have my chassis ready and am waffling back and forth on what additional protection to put over the galv and at what point. I was thinking paint but the thought of having it peel later is pretty depressing. My current thought is to do clear wax after putting most of the galv chassis components in place but before the body. . . Still very uncertain on what to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:22 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Not even I'm anal enough to waxoyl or undercoat a galvy chassis.

I mean, I was anal enough to paint it the first time, but my 110 project is going naked chassis.

Old October 13th, 2009, 12:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
I now have my chassis ready and am waffling back and forth on what additional protection to put over the galv and at what point. I was thinking paint but the thought of having it peel later is pretty depressing. My current thought is to do clear wax after putting most of the galv chassis components in place but before the body. . . Still very uncertain on what to do.
A galvy chassis will not rust in your lifetime unless you park it in the ocean. I have series I parts that are galvy that are still fine after 58 years even though the untreated steel is gone.
Old October 13th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Sounds good

Quote:
Going with something like this. Thinking about using toilet bowl rings and not parrifin wax.

I am pretty sure I have a sprayer in the basement too. You get the wax and stuff and I will make it all and provide the sprayer and we can do it at my house so we don't ruin your driveway.

Let me know when your ready and what exactly I need to get.
Old October 13th, 2009, 09:31 AM
Baldewin
Chris Baldewin
Bastard 90

Hey Ron, great DIY info thanks.

Quote:

Old October 13th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
heh heh, true for most people but the amount of salt on the roads in ottawa would boggle your mind, and it is probably a different product than what is used in your area, Ron. And I know of at least one glavy chassis that was replaced after 15 years of daily beach driving. So not in the ocean but close.

Quote:
A galvy chassis will not rust in your lifetime unless you park it in the ocean. I have series I parts that are galvy that are still fine after 58 years even though the untreated steel is gone.
Old October 13th, 2009, 11:48 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Let me know when your ready and what exactly I need to get.
Type in parafin wax into amazon and buy a couple of the 6lbs packages for $12.99 each

http://www.amazon.com/Paraffin-Wax-R...4&sr=8-7-spell

and go to home depot and buy the stuff listed on the gomog website.

Or buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/GKGO75000-1G-M...449394&sr=8-26

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Mineral...449543&sr=8-40

I will cover half the costs if you want, I just don't have time to run around and get the stuff. The biggest problem is that you have to let the stuff sit in a bucket for a while to get the parrafin to desolve.

Ron

edit: actually, just have the parafinn shipped to my address and I will go to home depot and get the rest of the stuff and start cooking it. I have to pick up some square nuts for my winch anyway.

edit2: one box of 6lbs should be enough now that I think about the ratios.
Old October 13th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Ok

PM or email me your address and I will order it.
Rich

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions