Under-Dash Leaks? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM
Philster2
Phillip Krall
1994 D90

Under-Dash Leaks?

i've been having mysterious starting problems with my '94. The latest place that the search for an answer has led is to the fuse box/ relays. Things are badly corroded and there is water. Any idea of the likely source of a leak? Any suggestions would be very appreciated.

Phil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Dash vents would be the first suspect.
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
Dash vents would be the first suspect.
Bingo. Just replaced mine and it appeared to be the issue. However, don't count on the adhesive backing on the new vent seals...I did and it failed within days. I had to remove everything again and put it back on with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:36 PM
berti1554
Robert Klima
84/110

Use the Series vent seals instead the later Defender ones. The older style seals are of a different rubber/foam material which seals better. And as Jason already said use some good adhesive...

Robert
Old April 29th, 2012, 03:42 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by berti1554 View Post
Use the Series vent seals instead the later Defender ones. The older style seals are of a different rubber/foam material which seals better. And as Jason already said use some good adhesive...

Robert
Just keep in mind the older ones seal against the bulkhead (rather than the vents themselves). I opted for the same vent style just so I didn't have to see them on the bulkhead.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:39 PM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
I swapped mine out to the series mounted on the bulkhead. They are legit. You may want to pull your dash out because there is likely rust along the seam at the bulkhead and the footwells. Mine definitely did due to years of leaks prior to taking ownership. A little extra effort will go along way.

------ Follow up post added April 29th, 2012 07:40 PM ------

It could also be a plugged drain in your heater fan intake sucking in moisture and then working down the bulkhead into your fuse panel. I would till bet on the vents though.
Old April 29th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Philster2
Phillip Krall
1994 D90

Thanks for your input. This definately leaves me with a couple places to look.
Old April 30th, 2012, 06:03 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Bingo. Just replaced mine and it appeared to be the issue. However, don't count on the adhesive backing on the new vent seals...I did and it failed within days. I had to remove everything again and put it back on with 3M weatherstrip adhesive.
Did you pull the vents off to replace the seal or did you cut the seal in order to get it around the lever arm?
Old April 30th, 2012, 09:51 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
Did you pull the vents off to replace the seal or did you cut the seal in order to get it around the lever arm?
I did pull them...but it's because I had to repair one of the vent arms anyhow, plus I had the inside dash out too so it seemed like the time to do it.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old April 30th, 2012, 09:55 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
If you knock the pins out, it's very easy to get a small ratchet on the bolt that connects the arms to the vent. The other bonus is it's much easier to clean off all the old residue etc. I ended having to use laquer thinner, a rag, and a scraper to get it clean, but it did a fantastic job.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
dash