UK Vehicle - What document shows Proof of Ownership? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 4th, 2016, 10:00 AM
LRColorado
John
1990 Defender (200 TDI)

Registry
UK Vehicle - What document shows Proof of Ownership?

I went to the Colorado DMV to register my recently imported vehicle and all the paperwork was good except on the V5C (UK Registration Certificate) it states in several places, "This document is not proof of Ownership". I have an Invoice & Bill of Sale which was enough for US Customs. The DMV said the State of Colorado needs proof that the seller had the authority to sell me the vehicle.

In the UK, what document is used to show proof of ownership? The DMV said most countries would provide the buyer with a vehicle Title.

The DMV employee said they don't get cars from the UK very often, so if I can provide a government website or document that shows they don't use Titles or some other official document for proof of ownership this will help them figure out what to do with my case.

For others to reference in the future, I attached the State of Colorado's Foreign Vehicle Ownership Transfer Requirements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Pik1968
Andy
1985 90 LHD

The V5C and a bill of sale are the equivalent of the US title.

There is no such single equivalent document in the UK to a US title.

The V5C establishes the registered keeper and address of the vehicle, and also who is responsible for the road tax of the vehicle. A bill of sale is the ownership document. Together they equate to a US title. Just have to explain over and over again or try another office. I did mine thru AAA.

Andy
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:44 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
In Virginia the DMV has a big book that they refer to. The book has pictures of the various country documents that are acceptable. The V5 is in there under the UK. I've imported trucks from NZ, Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland and the UK. Each time I have to go through the same song and dance until they figured it out.

Maybe this site can help. https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-registrat...-used-vehicles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 4th, 2016, 01:56 PM
edfest
Ed Mistler
88 D-110 station wagon 2.5TD

I also used AAA, and they were helpful since it was their responsibility to get the new title.
I gave them the V5 and bill of sale. They had to resubmit my application when the state (PA) needed me to sign the V5... Which, of course, I didn't "need" to do, but it made the state DMV happy and I got my title and registration.
Old March 17th, 2016, 04:21 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
I think it's a Colorado issue. I had a friend that purchased a new car from the Military exchange over here in the UK. Drove it here for 3 years and then moved to Denver. It was an American Spec Dodge but since it was shipped to the UK, never had a US title. He played hell trying to get it registered in Colorado. Finally, we got the US Military to do up a form that says that the V-5 is proof of ownership. I almost had the same issue in TN, but I had that letter and the V-5 was in my name. This is an excerpt from his email

"
Crazy, crazy situation here in Colorado Springs with their Department of Motor Vehicles. Believe it or not I am in battle right now to prove that I am the owner of the vehicle I had shipped from England to here. This is because the British V5c says: "not proof of ownership." Every V5 says this at the top. My problem is that I bought the car from Military Sales at Alconbury, so the car has never been registered in a US state. I guess this is happening to a lot of military people, at least according to the lady at the DMV office. Nice, uh...

This is serious, as they're saying I may need to pay up to $4000 to get a bondsmen to certify that I am the owner of the vehicle. Forget that. By-the-way: they have my orders; the car shipment paperwork from the government, who shipped my car; my bill of sale and the vehicle MOC showing I paid for the vehicle in cash in 2011. Can you believe this! Even then they're saying how do we know you had the vehicle registered on base. Really????

Old March 17th, 2016, 05:27 AM
CMSgt Bo
Bo
1985 One Ten

I imported both a 110 and a US spec Mini Cooper from Germany to Colorado with no problems. I used the V5 and bill of sale to register the 110. Maybe you should try to register in Colorado Springs...they see a lot more imports there because of the large number of military members stationed in the area.

My mechanic told me, "I couldn't repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder."
Old March 24th, 2016, 11:15 PM
LRColorado
John
1990 Defender (200 TDI)

Registry
Update..........Went to another DMV location and they were good with the V5 and bill of sale.
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:32 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
Congrats!
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:39 AM
spikemd
Ted
2001 P38, 2006 LR3, 1991 109

Anyone know the equivalent documents from Spain? I am looking into this now. Have a truck picked out and shipping quotes. I may try and register it is FL first then do a title change to CA. I think it will be too difficult to import directly to CA. I have read through all the posts about CA and it's a crap shoot with some paying $$$$ for CARB certification.
Old April 12th, 2016, 11:50 AM
GunnyUSMC
Eric
1991 Defender 90 200TDI

Registry
If it is a diesel, you can forget it in Ca.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
roof