UK Citizen importing D-110 ....US rules - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM
Cyborg
Larry Walton
'97 D-90 ST #2066 UK 4X4

UK Citizen importing D-110 ....US rules

Hey guys,

I have a friend who is a UK citizen. HE is moving to the US to work permanently.

Does anyone know if he would have the right to import his brand new UK spec Defender 110?? If so... would he be able to sell it to a US citizen at some point??

Larry
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2007, 08:06 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg
Hey guys,

I have a friend who is a UK citizen. HE is moving to the US to work permanently.

Does anyone know if he would have the right to import his brand new UK spec Defender 110?? If so... would he be able to sell it to a US citizen at some point??

Larry
Nope, he can bring it in temporarily with UK plates but can't keep it here or sell it.
Old March 1st, 2007, 01:50 PM
jaguiler
John A
2006 - LR3

He can only keep it here for a year with Brit tags- at which point it has to go back to the UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2007, 03:01 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguiler
He can only keep it here for a year with Brit tags- at which point it has to go back to the UK
Unless he is a diplomat, then all those law things go out the window...LOL!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Unless he is a diplomat, then all those law things go out the window...LOL!
note to self, become best friends with diplomat, ask him to do favor and register a car...
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
note to self, become best friends with diplomat, ask him to do favor and register a car...
That won't help, you can't register the vehicle in your name even if he brings it in.

Our family has purchased used vehicles from diplomats in the past when we were living overseas. Each country has it's own rules but in the country I was living in the diplomats were allowed to sell their vehicles once their term was over (4 or 5 years). We purchased some cool vehicles (Ford Taunus .. not Taurus, Toy Celica in mint condition, etc).

One more thing, I believe you can bring a vehicle in as a foreigner for a period of one year (in the US) and then drive it to Canada or Mexico and bring it back in for another year. I know Argentina will let the vehicle stay in the country for only 8 months but you can leave the country and bring it back in for another 8 months.

Just my experience. Good luck.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:11 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Wouldn't he also have an issue with UK registration rules? From what I gather from UK members on the board here, isn't there a periodic vehicle inspection (MOT?) required to renew registration? How would he do that with the truck 1/2 the globe away?
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC
That won't help, you can't register the vehicle in your name even if he brings it in.

Our family has purchased used vehicles from diplomats in the past when we were living overseas. Each country has it's own rules but in the country I was living in the diplomats were allowed to sell their vehicles once their term was over (4 or 5 years). We purchased some cool vehicles (Ford Taunus .. not Taurus, Toy Celica in mint condition, etc).

One more thing, I believe you can bring a vehicle in as a foreigner for a period of one year (in the US) and then drive it to Canada or Mexico and bring it back in for another year. I know Argentina will let the vehicle stay in the country for only 8 months but you can leave the country and bring it back in for another 8 months.

Just my experience. Good luck.
thats what i meant, have them register the car for you.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Wouldn't he also have an issue with UK registration rules? From what I gather from UK members on the board here, isn't there a periodic vehicle inspection (MOT?) required to renew registration? How would he do that with the truck 1/2 the globe away?
US Laws don't enforce the UK MOT.... Will only be a problem when the truck goes back to the UK.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYM
Don't think that will be a problem since most Overland travelers are from the UK and they spend more than a year outside the country, but I really don't know for sure. Maybe Kevin can chime in.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
jimmy salmon
jimmy salmon
94 D90 AA Yellow

once a car is registered in the UK its registered for good ( the plates stay with the car even when sold). the MOT is done on a yearly basis to make sure the car is roadworthy,all one has to do is get a MOT once back in the country

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:46 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Thanks for the clarification, Jimmy.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, d-110, import