Two "S" Type Spade Connectors on My Starter Soldenoid? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 26th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Two "S" Type Spade Connectors on My Starter Soldenoid?

I have two "S" terminals (spade type) on my starter solenoid. This is in addition to the "B" and "M" terminals (post type). I've never seen two spades on a starter before. Can anyone tell me what the second one is used for?

It's a Lucas and I believe it was originally on a 2.5L NAD. Found it in a box o' parts I got with the engine and it bench-tested better than the one on the engine, so I R&R'd it.

Old February 26th, 2016, 12:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor
couldn't say on your truck but early 3.5 v8's had a weird system where the ignition worked on one voltage for a hotter spark on start and then dropped the voltage so points didn't burn up as quickly. The start voltage was pulled from the starter signal wire and bypassed the ballast resistor over by the coil. As soon as you released the starter
position on the ignition switch, the ballast bypass was closed.
Good judgement comes from experience,experience comes from bad judgement.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

start, starter