Turn signals don't work - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:27 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Turn signals don't work

Before I start tearing into things i thought I'd ask if anyone has had this problem.
Fuse is OK including the one for the 4 way emergency flashers, but neither the dash board arrows nor the lights work. Nothing, no lights at all.
Any ideas?

Clark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:31 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Switch?
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:48 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

I haven't had that one on my defender yet, but I have on several other cars. It is usually a flasher relay. I need to check my book but maybe someone else could chime in on the location of it. Common sense says it is somewhere near the steering column and is round or square headed twice as long as it is wide but the Brits did put some things in wierd places so I could be wrong.

94-95 it is black and behind the fuse box.

I'm only leaning towards this being the problem because you said you had no flashers either meaning that no signal lights function at all pointing to this as the first thing to check in my opinion.
And I love you too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2009, 10:15 PM
BECFA
Scott
'95D90ST

Just had this same problem in my NAS 1995 D90 earlier this week. It was raining and hailing so bad I had to pull off the road (mild excuse to 4x4 thru a Kansas pasture) and I pushed in the Hazard flasher switch for the first time since owning the vehicle. They worked fine, but when I pushed it to turn it off... the normal indicators (blinker) were not working... When I got to the store, I kept it running... verifyed they were not working either side, but all the other lights were... when I tried the hazard switch again, it was stuck pushed in. I'm talking about the backside (inside) part of the switch, the square piece you push appeared to be correct... but when I pulled it off I looked at the white plastic switch behind it and pushed it in and out... it clicked into positions, worked as suppposed to ... and then the normal indicators worked again! This was a long way to say it was the Hazard switch stuck in a position that cut off the indicators. Good luck!
Old April 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Scott....

I think that was it. I fiddled with the hazard switch yesterday after I replaced its fuse (it began working) and today when I tried the turn signals they worked.
Wait until the Brits develop electric cars.

Clark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal