Turn signals dead - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Turn signals dead

The turn signals on my ROW 90 are dead, no lights and no clicking from the flasher unit. Hazards work fine. I've replaced the turn signal stalk and the hazard switch with no change. What am I missing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2012, 01:22 PM
aka rover
ed angel
95 D90

Registry
The flasher could be bad and just two bulbs isn't enough to get the flasher to do its thing but with the four it will.

Also is the flasher for turn sigs and hazards the same flasher on ROW rigs?
67 NADA diesel tremec 4spd salisbury rear springs on front and a LOT MORE TO GO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Have an ep26 flasher on the way (local parts shops had to order it in at $20, amazon had them for $13), with any luck that will do it. I discounted that originally as the hazards worked, but you may be right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Hazard flasher switch not properly releasing .. Give it a pull!

Happens to me all the time.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 5th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I have the older rocker style hazard switch, and I dropped a new one in today (Christ are they expensive!).
Old May 6th, 2012, 05:35 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
Check the contacts, they could be oxidized, I've redone all the contacts on my D90 as they where in bad shape. Also, are the flasher circuits and the hazard circuits on different fuses ? Could be that simple. If you remove the steering shroud you should be able to put a multi-meter on the flasher contacts and see if you have current on the 2 parts of the circuit (current driving - left send - right send).
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
PaulMc
Paul McConnell
1989 110 2.5 Turbo-Diesel

Registry
The flasher and hazard circuits are powered from different sources.

The flasher circuit is ignition-switched, the hazard circuit is permanently live.

The common point of failure (other than a fuse) is the hazard warning lights switch - it's a piece of over-priced junk

There's an excellent fault-finding guide here -

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25376

1999 Epsom Green Discovery II 4.0 V8i 'XS'

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

The wiring diagram for the turn signals is pretty independent in the harness. In other words you have a multi plug for the rear lights and one for the front turn signals. If all four are not working then it has to be something in the main harness, fuse box or switching. I forget but does the wiring go to the haz switch and then to the turn signal stalk? I guess I would check the output in the HAZ switch and work my way from there.
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

So I replaced the rear fog light assembly today, the old one had corroded internally and wasn't working. Hooked it all up, tested it (worked fine) and for shits and grind tried the turn signals. And they worked. Well, sort of worked, the left rear light is out (it's also corroded away) so I got a fast blink on the left, but regardless, they're working. I suspect that there might have been moisture in the flasher relay that has dried out. With the new relay on its way, I'll replace it, but this may just be a case of Lucas rearing it's ugly head.

Anyone have a light assembly sitting around?

Thanks for all of the advice!
Old May 7th, 2012, 06:58 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I would also check all of the grounds just in case. The quick flash usually indicates that a light is out, the other side that isn't working?
You can get some replacements in the UK Ebay pretty cheap. The newer style requires some slight modification to the mounting area and has a different plug. They also have some pretty crappy ones available so buyer beware. You can also get them from all of the vendors here on the board.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal