Turn Signals - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2013, 03:08 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
If one side works and the other doesn't, it can't be the flasher unit if I remember right. Doesn't the same flasher provide supply voltage to the switch which decides which side of the truck to flash the lights on?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:53 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

One side can fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
If one side works and the other doesn't, it can't be the flasher unit if I remember right. Doesn't the same flasher provide supply voltage to the switch which decides which side of the truck to flash the lights on?
The flasher relay (often called flasher unit) can fail on one side, but not the other.
Again this commonly happens when they get water inside.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:09 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post

It looks like a relay.

1) You can look in the parts manual and get the part number...
2) you can pull it, walk it into VatoZone, past the chrome hubcaps to the back counter and show it to the clerk...
3) You can head or to Marks house and swap it with his while he is at work...

-Jeff
Or search relays for defenders on the AB site, RN site, etc. then match it. Basically, don't be so lazy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Pulled it. Pep boys didn't have so I just ordered it.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 09:46 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
The flasher relay (often called flasher unit) can fail on one side, but not the other.
Again this commonly happens when they get water inside.
I just looked at the wiring diagram, I am not sure how this can be as the relay feeds the steering column switch from the same relay output regardless of the side.

Barry, hope replacing the flasher works for you... but I am gonna bet 2 bucks that it's something else.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 10:24 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc

I just looked at the wiring diagram, I am not sure how this can be as the relay feeds the steering column switch from the same relay output regardless of the side.

Barry, hope replacing the flasher works for you... but I am gonna bet 2 bucks that it's something else.
Well the hazard switch doesn't work either so I hope this does it.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

I had my Hazard switch go bad but none of the turn lights worked at all. I haven't heard of only one side but if the whole thing is inop then? Here is a good thread on checking it.
http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25376
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:01 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Relay did not fix the issue.

Turn signal works fine to the left. To the right if I lift the stalk just a little bit it works but if I push it all the way nothing. The hazard switch engages but no hazards. All the fuses are ok.

Thoughts?
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:05 PM
genie90
Jay Geaney
1994 D-90 ST #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post

Turn signal works fine to the left. To the right if I lift the stalk just a little bit it works but if I push it all the way nothing. The hazard switch engages but no hazards. All the fuses are ok.

Thoughts?
Did you take the stalk off and clean the contacts? If it's original it may just need a good cleaning...

Good luck

Jay
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:07 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I didn't pull it apart yet in the hopes it was something else. Would this affect the hazard switch?
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:22 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
I didn't pull it apart yet in the hopes it was something else. Would this affect the hazard switch?
Did you double check the hazard fuse?

Also, mine acted up early on...I had to pull the hazard switch apart and clean/dielectric grease it and all was good after that.

------ Follow up post added January 27th, 2013 08:24 PM ------

I should also mention that my hazard fuse had issues recently too. One of the "prongs" on the back of the fuse panel (that the fuse goes in) had pushed out just a little bit and was causing intermittent issues.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:27 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Would the hazard fuse affect the turn signal one way? I mean the stalk works if I lift it slightly but the hazard not at all. I would think if it was the fuze I wouldn't get the stalk to work at all.
Old January 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Would the hazard fuse affect the turn signal one way? I mean the stalk works if I lift it slightly but the hazard not at all. I would think if it was the fuze I wouldn't get the stalk to work at all.
Hazards and turn signals are on separate fuses I believe, so may be worth checking. I would think - though not completely sure - that the signal issue and hazard issue are separate. My turn signals worked fine even when my hazard was intermittent on this recent one (related to the fuse). However when my hazard was "stuck" in it killed my signals completely.

I'm just saying its worth checking. When I'd push my hazard fuse in it would push the prong out the back, causing this recent issue for me.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 27th, 2013, 08:32 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Clean the contacts first, i had a similar issue on a different vehicle. Solved the problem.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:03 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

Thoughts?
Not to say I told you so....

Give me a minute to look at the wiring diagram, I bet we can come up with a 4 step check to figure out what's wrong.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:45 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
OK, looking at everything in the diagrams. My wiring diagram is for a '97, but it should pretty much be the same.

The fuse in question is #17, but it's good if your left lights work. After the fuse is the hazard switch, but same thing if your left side is working it's OK (at least as far as getting voltage to the flasher goes). Next is the flasher, which you just replaced.

Then, it goes to the stalk switch. This is where I am putting my 20 dollar bet. Open up the steering cowl, and disconnect the stalk switch. Put a piece of wire between connector 3 (a light green wire with a brown stripe) and connector 4 (A green wire with a red stripe). Make sure the wire jumper isn't touching anything else and then turn on the ignition. Your left hand flashers should be on.

Next, move the jumper over from the Green/Red Stripe wire over to the Green/White Stripe wire, leaving the other end on the Light Green/Brown Stripe. Again making sure nothing else is touching and turn the ignition on again. Now your right hand flashers will be on.

If this works, then the problem is the stalk switch. Try and open it up and clean it all out if you can. Otherwise they are about $100 on different sites.

If the lights are still not working using the wire jumper, we need to move past the switch. But the fact that you say you can coax it into working sounds like the switch needs to be cleaned.
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I'm with Jason. The two issues are likely not related. Sounds like turn signal is a contact issue and the hazard likely a fuse issue. The stock fuse box is garbage. Make sure the contacts in the fusebox for the hazard are getting a good connection.
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Will check the switch tomorrow. Would the stalk affect the hazards from going on?
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Will check the switch tomorrow. Would the stalk affect the hazards from going on?
Shouldn't. I'm telling you I think it's 2 separate issues.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old January 28th, 2013, 12:38 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Shouldn't. I'm telling you I think it's 2 separate issues.
Right. The hazard switch, while connected to the turn signal circuits, doesn't have a way to keep one side from working. If nothing was working, it could be a suspect.

It's gonna be two different issues.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal