Turn Signal stalk disassembly - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Turn Signal stalk disassembly

Has anyone done this and successfully put it back together? I have the annoying issue of the signal cancelling at the slightest hint of a turn, and wondering about taking it apart to look at it. All the electrical functions are perfectly fine, so would be silly to replace if it could be mechanically repaired. not exactly sure what causes the cancellation internally. Externally, the blue cancellation ring is correctly adjusted for the steering wheel.

Does anybody have an internal picture of a disassembled turn signal assembly so I can see what I would be getting into, and theorize what might be wrong?

Ironically, if I pull the rubber boot of the signal stalk out of it's setting in the steering wheel surround, the cancellation works correctly, so it seems to be cancelling to early based on slight resistance from the rubber boot when seated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2011, 12:47 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

The springs are worn in the stalk. I've never tried tightening them or changing them but that is why less resistance doesn't cancel it as fast.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
The springs are worn in the stalk. I've never tried tightening them or changing them but that is why less resistance doesn't cancel it as fast.
Actually my problem is quite the opposite. My signal is cancelling too soon, before I have even completed the turn. Only a slight hint of wheel movement will cancel the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 3rd, 2011, 01:46 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
Actually my problem is quite the opposite. My signal is cancelling too soon, before I have even completed the turn. Only a slight hint of wheel movement will cancel the signal.
It must be "time" for that repair to be needed on NAS trucks. We have had a rash of that issue recently and haven't seen it much before. We stretched the springs on one to see how long it would last, and it didn't. So we have been replacing the switches.
They are "interesting" to take apart, not hard, but certainly things spring out and if you don't know where they go it can be hard. There are little bars that make the contacts, springs and plastic pads that all fall out when you take it apart.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
It must be "time" for that repair to be needed on NAS trucks. We have had a rash of that issue recently and haven't seen it much before. We stretched the springs on one to see how long it would last, and it didn't. So we have been replacing the switches.
They are "interesting" to take apart, not hard, but certainly things spring out and if you don't know where they go it can be hard. There are little bars that make the contacts, springs and plastic pads that all fall out when you take it apart.
Thanks for insight. I just spent 20 minutes in the parking lot pulling the wheel off and playing with it further. Turns out it was a problem, now resolved that required further tinkering and refinement with the wheel placement on the column, the blue collar, and the straightness of the front tires. All is well now. Very minor changes seem to have huge impact on the interaction of the wheel and indicator.
Old May 3rd, 2011, 02:31 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

If the blue collar/wheel is the issue then you will get "fast cancel" on one turn and long or no cancel on the other turn.
The fingers on the back of the wheel should be straight up and down and the blue collar has a pointer arrow on it that should point directly at the turn signal switch (to the left).
That is the factory set up.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old October 4th, 2013, 04:44 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
reviving this old thread as I finally solved my problem 2 years later. I just installed a brand new turn signal, and after installation, had the exact same issue. Fast cancellation turning right, normal for left. without the stalk rubber boot mounted in the surround, it would operate exactly as it should. Once the boot was set in the surround, same problem. Turns out that without any lubrication, the booth neck on the new switch (and the old switch) didn't have any give to slide as the stalk was turned, pulling back on the stalk causing cancellation early. I pulled out a little vaseline, lubricated the metal stalk and the boot neck interior, reinstalled, and problem solved.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old October 4th, 2013, 05:24 PM
taoseno
Todd Kendrick
1995 D90 #2206 Original Owner

Registry
I have the same problem after reinstalling my boot; right cancels too fast left is fine. I will lube up tomorrow and see it that fixes the issue...........
'95 D90 #2206
'66 109" P/U
Old October 4th, 2013, 09:26 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I have a new Lucas waiting to be installed, I too will lube up. . Thanks.
Old February 21st, 2014, 07:59 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR View Post
If the blue collar/wheel is the issue then you will get "fast cancel" on one turn and long or no cancel on the other turn. The fingers on the back of the wheel should be straight up and down and the blue collar has a pointer arrow on it that should point directly at the turn signal switch (to the left). That is the factory set up.
So if I don't get cancel in one direction and the other direction works fine, and I've verified (corrected) this bit, does that mean the switch is bad?
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:30 PM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

Try removing the rubber boot and see what happens. I ended up rotating the boot 90 degrees and it solved the problem. Not my weirdest D90 issue but close.
Old February 21st, 2014, 08:57 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
funny this should pop up today as I was thinking about this issue earlier. Forget my garbage theory, the issue still stands for me. I'm not sure what's going on. lube was a very temp fix that didn't last. Rotating the boot didn't fix it either. Right now I have to keep the boot completely off and pushed out to the end to prevent premature cancellation. Very annoying. It's almost like the whole column shroud is rotated to far in one direction and placing more strain on the boot in one direction than designed.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 21st, 2014, 09:24 PM
javelinadave
-
-

I hit the switch with a bunch of compressed air. A bunch of crap, dust, dirt, and Lucas gremlins flew out and it fixed the problem. Those gremlins come back but so far they haven't found the steering stalk again.
Old February 21st, 2014, 10:42 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
I have this issue too. Brand new turn signal assembly so no crap in the boot. Was looking forward to the vaseline fix... oh well.

And yes... same... if I remove the boot... it works fine. I too feel it's catching on something.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
assembly, signal